Netgear Router -- Temporarily Turn Off 5G

KJJ

Reaction score
I have a Netgear Router RAX50 that uses both 2.4 and 5.0. I'm having trouble connecting a security camera that uses wireless connection, but only works with 2.4. I'm hoping to make the 2.4 connection by temporarily disabling the 5.0 but I don't know how to turn 5.0 off. Can anyone help me with the steps to follow to disable 5.0? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to disable the 5 GHz connection to connect a 2.4 GHz device - the 2.4 and 5 should have separate SSIDs so when connecting your camera you select the 2.4 GHz network.

go to routerlogin.net in your web browser (you will need to know the login name/password). When you see the homepage click on the
Wireless button in the middle.

image.png

It should take you to the wireless settings page where you can view or change the SSIDs for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Make sure they are not the same because that will cause confusion.

image.png

If for some reason you still want to turn off 5 GHz (not recommended) you need to switch to advanced mode by clicking on the advanced tab under the Netgear Genie logo, click on Advanced Setup from the left menu then click Wireless Settings. Untick the 'Enable Wireless Router Radio' box in the 5 GHz section then hit the green 'Apply' button at the top.

image.png

Here's the manual for your router.

KJJ

Reaction score
Thank you, Clippy. Try as I might, still not able to connect camera to my Wifi. I'm at an age that frustration sets in easily.

Ask a Question