New build - 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart'

Reaction score
Hello,

hoping someone can help...I've built a new pc - AMD Ryzen 3600, 32gb corsair Vengeance pro ram, 1tb samsung 970 Evo plus NVme drive, 1tb samsung 860 EVO ssd, Powercolor 5700xt graphics card on a Asus Rog strix b450-i motherboard. Mentioning the above in case it helps.

I downloaded the windows installation iso and burned it onto a new usb drive. When I boot the system I can get into the bios no problem so it posts fine - no crashes. When I plug in the USB drive (btw I've tried two drives as well and installed the image by burning the iso and also directly using Microsofts media creation tool which creates the image directly onto the usb stick) the windows logo comes up and then a blue screen appears with the message 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you.' there is a variety of stop codes which appear below this 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED' or 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' and some others.

I've tried to change bios settings turning off fast boot, swapping boot drive options. Please help! Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi lorestan,

there are problems reported with AMD 5700xt causing black screens and BSOD's, do you have a different GPU to try out?, if you do, try the install process with the other GPU and see how it goes. ;)

See also:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A third thing you might check...
A while back I had an issue with an AMD board and it turned out to be memory timings.
A quick way you might check is to remove a stick of ram and test to see if the problem continues.

Reaction score
Hello,

hoping someone can help...I've built a new pc - AMD Ryzen 3600, 32gb corsair Vengeance pro ram, 1tb samsung 970 Evo plus NVme drive, 1tb samsung 860 EVO ssd, Powercolor 5700xt graphics card on a Asus Rog strix b450-i motherboard. Mentioning the above in case it helps.

I downloaded the windows installation iso and burned it onto a new usb drive. When I boot the system I can get into the bios no problem so it posts fine - no crashes. When I plug in the USB drive (btw I've tried two drives as well and installed the image by burning the iso and also directly using Microsofts media creation tool which creates the image directly onto the usb stick) the windows logo comes up and then a blue screen appears with the message 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you.' there is a variety of stop codes which appear below this 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED' or 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' and some others.

I've tried to change bios settings turning off fast boot, swapping boot drive options. Please help! Thanks in advance
I use AMD Ryzen 3900x and 2700x with 32GB DDR4 memory running at 4225 (2700x) and 4325 (3900x) with no issues, but MS OS has many times if you system is not 100% will crash due to many Folks OC,n to high. and any corruption will cause upgrade issues.

suggest you do
1. update all drivers as per manufacture.
2. chkdsk C: /f
then 3.
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:I:\sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

pause
exit

Reaction score
Hi lorestan,

there are problems reported with AMD 5700xt causing black screens and BSOD's, do you have a different GPU to try out?, if you do, try the install process with the other GPU and see how it goes. ;)

See also:

Thanks I didn't know this, hope there is a solution to using the card. I have an old ATI card which I think will work.

Reaction score
Reaction score
A while back I had an issue with an AMD board and it turned out to be memory timings.
A quick way you might check is to remove a stick of ram and test to see if the problem continues.
Thanks, so I've tried both sticks separately but no change. I don't know anything about timings I just the right type and the fastest speed I could afford. Can timings be altered?

Reaction score
I use AMD Ryzen 3900x and 2700x with 32GB DDR4 memory running at 4225 (2700x) and 4325 (3900x) with no issues, but MS OS has many times if you system is not 100% will crash due to many Folks OC,n to high. and any corruption will cause upgrade issues.

suggest you do
then 3.

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:I:\sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

pause
exit
Thanks but I can't install Windows to use a command prompt. Literally built the PC and trying to install Windows and see the 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you' message and then it reboots and I'm stuck in the same loop

Reaction score
Thanks but I can't install Windows to use a command prompt. Literally built the PC and trying to install Windows and see the 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you' message and then it reboots and I'm stuck in the same loop
boot to your USB then advanced and use command prompt - to check your SSD,
also now same loop has a fix.
1. Insert your bootable media and boot your PC from USB. or your DVD or CD
(You may need to press some keys or change BIOS options to boot from USB.)

2. When the "Windows Setup" screen appears, press Shift + F10 keys together.
This will open the command prompt.

3. Type notepad and hit Enter. Do not close the command prompt window.

4. When Notepad opens, open the File menu -> Open... item. Click "This PC" in the
left pane of the Open dialog to see your PC drives. Note the proper drive letter of
the partition where you have the damaged, unbootable Windows .

5. Also, note the proper letter of the hidden "System Reserved" partition. In my case it is C:
Now type the following in the command prompt:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows
other things.
Your manual should also tell you how to boot to and fix... my ASRock does, Asus (never used).
MS posted how to fix Auto Boot Loop Fix
This solution is to disable the automatic repair from starting if your computer fails to boot into windows.

What you will need - A Windows 10 USB or DVD.

Step 1: Place the CD in your drive and proceed to boot from it

Step 2: When the install screen pops up, look to the bottom left and select "Repair Your Computer".

Step 3: You will now see a screen that says "Choose an option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", and finally "Command Prompt".

Step 4: You should now see the command prompt. Type "bcdedit" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Step 5: A list should have appeared. Towards the top, you should see "resumeobject" (It is under "default"). Highlight the long number, including the brackets, and copy.

Step 6: Now type "bcdedit /set (the long number you copied) recoveryenabled No" (Without quotes). Hit enter.

Step 7: You should now see the message "The operation completed successfully"

Step 8: Type "Exit" (Without quotes)

Step 9: Reboot

Reaction score
Thanks, so I've tried both sticks separately but no change. I don't know anything about timings I just the right type and the fastest speed I could afford. Can timings be altered?
The timing can be set to "Auto" in BIOS, if you have manually changed any BIOS settings, you might want to reset BIOS by shutting down the PC and switching off the power switch or unplugging the mains cable, then remove the mobo battery, leave it for 10 minutes and replace the battery and then restart the PC!. :)

Did you try out the older ATI GPU you mentioned in an earlier post?. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does the motherboard have any LEDs or Digital Displays that might give a hint of what is happening?

Also, keep in mind, there was a recent update which has given many folks problems.. It would have arrived on Thursday or Friday if you were getting normal updates.

Some folks even complain about the update prior to that. So check for KB4524244 and a recent CU at about the same time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Literally built the PC and trying to install Windows and see the 'Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart. we'll restart for you' message and then it reboots and I'm stuck in the same loop
So you'd think it is very likely a physical hardware problem or minimally a hardware configuration problem Since you can't install the Windows 10 OS.

I like the idea above of checking the hard disk for errors which may require attaching it to another working computer.
Likewise I'd probably be booting from a MemTest86+ cd and running overnight testing

When you "literally built the PC", did you use all new parts
OR
Are some of the parts from other builds??

As Saltgrass said above some boards have diag lights which can be helpful

IF you've convinced yourself that all hardware being used is suitable, serviceable and compatible then you're left with corrupt installation media which keeps installing the same bad files which results in the same bad error message.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yep removed one stick, tried them both separately..no luck

Reaction score

suggest you do
then 3.

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

pause
exit
Thanks, haven't been able to install Win 10 - its a new install, so can't really try any of suggestions above.

Reaction score
boot to your USB then advanced and use command prompt - to check your SSD,
also now same loop has a fix.
1. Insert your bootable media and boot your PC from USB. or your DVD or CD
(You may need to press some keys or change BIOS options to boot from USB.)

2. When the "Windows Setup" screen appears, press Shift + F10 keys together.
This will open the command prompt.

3. Type notepad and hit Enter. Do not close the command prompt window.

4. When Notepad opens, open the File menu -> Open... item. Click "This PC" in the
left pane of the Open dialog to see your PC drives. Note the proper drive letter of
the partition where you have the damaged, unbootable Windows .

5. Also, note the proper letter of the hidden "System Reserved" partition. In my case it is C:
Now type the following in the command prompt:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows
other things.
Your manual should also tell you how to boot to and fix... my ASRock does, Asus (never used).
MS posted how to fix Auto Boot Loop Fix
This solution is to disable the automatic repair from starting if your computer fails to boot into windows.

What you will need - A Windows 10 USB or DVD.

Step 1: Place the CD in your drive and proceed to boot from it

Step 2: When the install screen pops up, look to the bottom left and select "Repair Your Computer".

Step 3: You will now see a screen that says "Choose an option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", and finally "Command Prompt".

Step 4: You should now see the command prompt. Type "bcdedit" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Step 5: A list should have appeared. Towards the top, you should see "resumeobject" (It is under "default"). Highlight the long number, including the brackets, and copy.

Step 6: Now type "bcdedit /set (the long number you copied) recoveryenabled No" (Without quotes). Hit enter.

Step 7: You should now see the message "The operation completed successfully"

Step 8: Type "Exit" (Without quotes)

Step 9: Reboot
After selecting USB drive on boot options shift and F10 doesn't bring up a command prompt.
With the second suggestion same thing there are no options on screen...literally boots to blue screen and crashes

Reaction score
The timing can be set to "Auto" in BIOS, if you have manually changed any BIOS settings, you might want to reset BIOS by shutting down the PC and switching off the power switch or unplugging the mains cable, then remove the mobo battery, leave it for 10 minutes and replace the battery and then restart the PC!. :)

Did you try out the older ATI GPU you mentioned in an earlier post?. ;)
I had a look the timings are set to 'auto' already
I haven't been to change graphics will try that tomorrow.

Reaction score
Does the motherboard have any LEDs or Digital Displays that might give a hint of what is happening?

Also, keep in mind, there was a recent update which has given many folks problems.. It would have arrived on Thursday or Friday if you were getting normal updates.

Some folks even complain about the update prior to that. So check for KB4524244 and a recent CU at about the same time.
yepo the motherboard has leds they seem normal checking the motherboard manual.
Again its new install so haven't booted into windows to be able to have the option to update

Ask a Question