SOLVED New hard drive wanted for storage

Reaction score
a little brain storming here. I would like to replace my current HDD's (750GB WD Blue) in my laptops with SSD's. The drives are only used for storage as the OS is already on a separate SSD.
Does a SSD even make sense for storage purposes?? If so, which would you recommend??

My OS SSD's are currently these:

Samsung Evo 850
Samsung Evo 750
OWC Mercury Electra 6G
Sandisk SSD plus

As I said, a little brain storming....

Reaction score
I haven't worked with a Notebook that could contain 2 HDDs in a number of years. Just a couple of minor things, an SSD should produce less heat in a Notebook than an HDD and SanDisk is now owned by Western Digital, a bit over a year now.

Reaction score
My laptops originally did not have two hard drives in them, but since I hardly ever used the optical drive, I have replaced that with a HDD caddy....

something like this:

1b3d5c31-c3d9-46b0-acfd-059da5e6f9c7_1.4d9a85345d64c73296e2cd4ce8ba323f.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Studio 17 [17.3"] that could contain 2 HDDs, has the cavity for the second one but the motherboard doesn't have the required socket for the second. Hadn't seen the device you use, used to have a Dell Latitude D810 and Dell Inspiron 600M that had quick-changeable ODDs for Floppies or second battery. There have been times I could use a second internal HDD but settled for the WD Passport USB drive, just more to pack around.

Reaction score
My Toshiba Satellite does have a second bay for a HDD but like your no socket in it... I found these caddys in the Bay for relative minor money (I think somewhere in the 10-12 USD range). They are pretty good and easy to change if need comes along.....

Nevertheless, if some of you use SSD's what size and brand do you prefer?
As I said before, the drive I am looking for is for storage (everything beside the OS, including the documents,pictures etc.)

Reaction score
The only SSD I'm using now is a Crucial 120GB in an HP Notebook running Linux Mint. I do have a Crucial 250GB on hand.

Reaction score
Yes a Samsung 850 EVO SATA 2.5 would work real well I use a 1 TB Pro which is guaranteed for 10 years the Evo's are guaranteed for 5 years. I expect that they will be obsolete long before they fail. and I know longer worry about failing Spinners.

Reaction score
My refurb Lenovo came with W8.1 a 500GB spinner and a 22GB M2 SSD and that Intel RST technology software that used the 22GB drive as a cache.

Some time ago now I did a full cold install with W10 Insider which got rid of the RST replaced the spinner witha 256 Gb SSD and the 22 Gb thing with a 128 M2 drive. Then put the spinner into a cheap USB3 enclosure and use that for Macrium backups

Replacing the spinner with the SSD gave me speed, more battery life and cooler running.

Reaction score
All my computers (desktops & laptops) have Samsung Evo SSD's. I see no benefit to use a 2nd one for storage.
A 128GB USB3.0 flash drive seems like a better choice for storage.

For network storage, I use and older Sandisk SSD in a USB caddy attached to the router.

Reaction score
All my computers (desktops & laptops) have Samsung Evo SSD's. I see no benefit to use a 2nd one for storage.

For network storage, I use and older Sandisk SSD in a USB caddy attached to the router.

Well,128GB is by far not enough storage capacity for me in my laptops at least, 500GB is absolute minimum.
My only desktop does not like SSD as boot drive (not recognized due to age of the mainboard-14 years old) therefore it has a bunch of regular spinners in it (all together roughly 7TB).

Reaction score
I use two 2TB USB Spinners, with 2 separate BU programs, Aomei and Acronis. Spinners are relatively cheap and they've got large storage capacities. Speed and Δt is a non issue.

Reaction score
I use two 2TB USB Spinners, with 2 separate BU programs, Aomei and Acronis. Spinners are relatively cheap and they've got large storage capacities. Speed and Δt is a non issue.
I use the same for my backup images. Portable 2TB USB 3.0, can be had for under $70. The portable ones have no problem powering directly from old USB 2.0 laptops.

Reaction score

Well since I have 2 hard drive slots, I prefer to have a 950 Pro SSD as a data drive. One I could afford it. two I have no worries about it failing as I would a spinner. Game and AutoCAD Video files etc do load and render much more quickly than they would on a spinner. Mostly I don't have to worry about a spinner and all there faults in my notebook. I have moved up to a 4 TB Passport USB 3.0 for back up and files seldom used. I don't have currently but I would consider a 2nd SSD in my Desktops for the reason of faster rendering on Auto Cad, and other 3D graphic and video editing, still with the price of these spinners still have a future for a few more years.

Reaction score
I have now ordered 2 WD Blue SSD for my laptops for the datas. The Samsung EVO I had also in mind may have a longer warranty, but Samsung is a p.i.t.a to deal with whereas I never had a problem with WD. Gonna stick with them even though I hardly have a case for warranty.
My oldest drive (a 20GB WD from 2002 running linuxmint) is still working in my 14 year old PC.

Reaction score
I have now ordered 2 WD Blue SSD for my laptops for the datas. The Samsung EVO I had also in mind may have a longer warranty, but Samsung is a p.i.t.a to deal with whereas I never had a problem with WD. Gonna stick with them even though I hardly have a case for warranty.
My oldest drive (a 20GB WD from 2002 running linuxmint) is still working in my 14 year old PC.
Yes, I have looked at the WD SSD for storage also, they are cheaper, they are also SATA so slow speeds but speed is not everything for a storage drive. The only exceptions would be for 3D Drawing, Video Editing or any other hard drive intensive programs. I will have to stick with the Best for my OS SSD since they are constantly being read and written too.
I believe WD bought out one of the off brand SSD manufactures? probably how they came up with SSD's Keep good back ups my friend.

Reaction score
Western Digital recently acquired Sandisk. With both brands I never had any issues. I also don't do anything like you do regarding rendering or editing (except photos) but I am not in a hurry anyway. The drives will arrive on Wednesday then the big copy starts....

Reaction score
I still back-up my data on a reserve partition in case the external drive ever bites the dust and my data is no longer available!. :):):)

Ask a Question