SOLVED Newbie to smartphones - can I connect and disconnect to internet?

Reaction score
I don't have a Windows smartphone, but a Doro 8030. I've never had a smartphone. I'm of an age! I like it, and I'm learning a lot, but I don't want to connect to the internet with my phone, only now and then for updates. Can I do this? I don't want it constantly making noises, when I'm in the middle of other things.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums - and well done on getting your first smartphone :D.

I've not used the Doro 8030 before, so I don't know much about this model - but it runs an operating called Android, which is very popular (and on the phone I use at the moment).

You can connect and disconnect to the internet as you'd like, you'd need to disable "WiFi" and "Mobile Data" to do this (and then enable them when you want to use it again). To do this, swipe down with your finger from the top of the screen to bring up the status bar, then use the quick settings button to disable the two features I mentioned. The manual has more detailed instructions on how to do exactly this on page 12 and 13 - here's a direct link:

https://www.hearingdirect.com/media/wysiwyg/Doro_8030_User_Guide.pdf

However.... I wouldn't actually recommend that you do this ;). If you want to disable the internet so that it does't beep or make noises, it may actually be better to just put the phone in to "silent" mode instead. It's quicker to do and means that you can still use your phone for other things without it making any noise.

I'm not sure how to enable silent mode on your phone, but I think it will also be a quick button on the status bar menu I mentioned above. One click and your phone will stay nice and quiet :D.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums - and well done on getting your first smartphone :D.

I've not used the Doro 8030 before, so I don't know much about this model - but it runs an operating called Android, which is very popular (and on the phone I use at the moment).

You can connect and disconnect to the internet as you'd like, you'd need to disable "WiFi" and "Mobile Data" to do this (and then enable them when you want to use it again). To do this, swipe down with your finger from the top of the screen to bring up the status bar, then use the quick settings button to disable the two features I mentioned. The manual has more detailed instructions on how to do exactly this on page 12 and 13 - here's a direct link:

https://www.hearingdirect.com/media/wysiwyg/Doro_8030_User_Guide.pdf

However.... I wouldn't actually recommend that you do this ;). If you want to disable the internet so that it does't beep or make noises, it may actually be better to just put the phone in to "silent" mode instead. It's quicker to do and means that you can still use your phone for other things without it making any noise.

I'm not sure how to enable silent mode on your phone, but I think it will also be a quick button on the status bar menu I mentioned above. One click and your phone will stay nice and quiet :D.

Reaction score
Well, I must say your reply was very nice and detailed. You've cottoned on that I kind of need things explained in plain English, and you've done a great job. I went straight to the manufacturers when I got the phone home, and they've downloaded the manual, and are posting one as well. Great. I'm getting on well with it. I see what you mean about not disabling. That it would be more sensible to go 'quiet' like you suggested. I'll find out how to do that. I may be back with more questions in the future. By the way, I got Windows 10 last year, as the free upgrade. So far I've not had any problems. I'm now spending the coming months, trying to learn more about stuff, so I may pop up now and then. Thanks a bundle.

Reaction score
I just enable the internet if I need to check the weather or for the occasional browsing. Disconnecting from the internet does prolong battery life, the phone isn't constantly searching for a signal. If I'm out and about in the public, it's always in the silent vibrate mode.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I must say your reply was very nice and detailed. You've cottoned on that I kind of need things explained in plain English, and you've done a great job. I went straight to the manufacturers when I got the phone home, and they've downloaded the manual, and are posting one as well. Great. I'm getting on well with it. I see what you mean about not disabling. That it would be more sensible to go 'quiet' like you suggested. I'll find out how to do that. I may be back with more questions in the future. By the way, I got Windows 10 last year, as the free upgrade. So far I've not had any problems. I'm now spending the coming months, trying to learn more about stuff, so I may pop up now and then. Thanks a bundle.

My pleasure! Glad to be of help :).

Reaction score
I just enable the internet if I need to check the weather or for the occasional browsing. Disconnecting from the internet does prolong battery life, the phone isn't constantly searching for a signal. If I'm out and about in the public, it's always in the silent vibrate mode.
Thanks for that.

Ask a Question