Onedrive Newbie Needs Help!

Reaction score
New computer. Winndows 10. I want one folder, and one folder only, to be automatically synced to Onedrive. If I right-click on the cloud in the taskbar and go to Settings, it seems I can only choose to save files not in a folder, documents, and pictures to Onedrive. I get no option to choose any folders or subfolders. I want to sync Blue Iris video files, which are stored on the pc in a folder called C:\blueiris\new. After spending hours on this, I'm ready to just ask: can somebody please just tell me how to do it? Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open File Explorer.
In the left navigation pane, right click the parent container called "OneDrive" and choose "New" -> "Folder"
Give it a name like BlueIris or something else clever if you wish.
Drop your files (videos) from C:\blueiris\new into your new BlueIris OneDrive Folder, the rest should happen automatically.

Reaction score
That's exactly what I tried. No syncing going on....
Maybe I'm missing something. I don't want to manually move files to Onedrive so that they can be synced to the cloud; I want them to be synced automatically. Is my only solution to edit the video clip save location to be in a Onedrive folder?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the one drive icon in the notification area and choose settings, select the account tab and then the choose folders button
make sure you have your folders selected as you wish

Reaction score
Folder is selected but no syncing is going on. Maybe it'll do it overnight....?
Computer is hard-wired to internet via ethernet cable and am running about 17 mbps download and 1 mbps upload.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you right click the One Drive icon in the notification area and choose "View online" what do you see? Can you "view sync problems"? How much storage is reflect in the bottom right corner of One Drive online?
IF you view settings (gear in the top right), online, "options", what do you see under manage storage? Anything being used?
Are you using a Microsoft account on this computer?

Reaction score
I unlinked Onedrive then started over. Still wouldn't work until I changed the the BI save location to the Onedrive folder. It worked then, but I also realized then that the cloud storage wasn't a good fit for my needs. It wouldn't upload a video in progress, and some videos (based on motion detect) might run for hours. Yes, I did everything in my Microsoft account. Thanks for trying to help, but I'm done with Onedrive at this point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also realized then that the cloud storage wasn't a good fit for my needs
Yep.... perfectly understandable.
I'm not a big fan of Cloud Storage (any cloud storage) myself. I basically use it as another backup location, just as a belt and suspenders type of solutions, keeping a few images here and there on One Drive, Gdrive, etc., but..
I still keep all my files locally and back them up locally as well.

Ask a Question