No Password Box

Reaction score
I updated and restarted my laptop computer (Dell Latitude E6410) and now when I start the computer it goes to the lock screen which shows date and time on the lower left and three buttons (Wi-Fi, ease of use and power) on the lower right. When I click on the screen no password box comes up. I have tried holding the left button, and scrolling up and down left and right, pressing control alt and delete, and holing down the shift key while pressing restart. None of these have fixed the problem. Please advise if there are other things to try to solve this problem

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Terri,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you reach the lockscreen, click the Power icon to reveal shutdown options.

Press and hold down your Shift key then select Restart

When the computer restarts it should go to the Recovery window:
  • Here select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart
  • When the computer restarts this time select Safe mode
  • When it reaches the Safe Mode screen, sign-in as you normally would
  • Now right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab
  • Remove the check next to Safe boot
  • Click on Apply/OK and allow computer to restart.
Your computer will now reboot to the lockscreen. Click that and hopefully your login box will appear again.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
It did not go into the recovery window when I held down the shift key and chose restart, so I turned the computer on and off 3 times with the power button. I followed as you directed, but there was not a check mark in the boot tab by the Safe boot. I tried checking and unchecking safe mode then clicked apply/ok and allowed the computer to restart. My log in box still does not appear when I click the lock screen. Please advise.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you sign-in to Safe Mode?

Or was there no password box there either?

Ask a Question