No video after clean install of 9936 on Thinkpad T61

Reaction score
Hello,

Title says it all. Got a Thinkpad T61 with intel integrated video. Windows setup runs OK. After first reboot, process continues, several reboot ensue, all the while the screen is blank (blacklight is ON, but no text, or graphics display).

Keyboard is responsive after the last of the reboot FN+F7 does nothing, FN+F4 (and all other similar combinations work ok)

The loading screen is visible on every reboot, but as soon as the login screen is supposed to come on, all I get is a blank screen.

Laptop was running Windows 7 64-bit with no issues at all. Install media is Windows10_TechnicalPreview_x64_EN-US_9926

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds a bit like a graphics card driver although at this stage of the game I'm not sure what you might be able to do about it, if all you have is a black screen with no UI visible.

I would normally suggest booting into Safe Mode, but in this current build, Safe Mode is so crippled as to make it almost unusable. You might give it a try, usually you can force the advanced boot options by interrupting the boot process a couple times by powering the system down as Windows is attempting to load. If you have the latest display driver for your laptop you might be able to install it while in safe mode.

Have you tried attaching an external monitor just on the off chance that it might be expecting one?

You only have to check here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...postedBefore=&threadType=All&tm=1426364953332
To see that this current build does not play very nice with some hardware devices.

Many people, even after successfully installing the proper drivers for their sound and or video hardware, are finding that Windows Update then cripples the correct driver by installing what it seems to think is the optimal driver for the hardware device.

It is an early preview and as such problematic and in some cases annoyingly buggy. We've been waiting for over a month now for a newer build that may (or may not) help with some of these issues.

Reaction score
Hello Trouble,

Thanks for the reply. I went thru the install process a second time with the same results, even went as far as setting up the machine with no other devices attached to it (no USB keyb/mouse, wifi off, no Ethernet cable) still, no video. Tried with an external monitor, no video. However, this behavior does not seem to make sense as this machine carries an Intel 965 Express chipset with Intel Graphics (as vanilla as it gets)

So, in my despair i turned to the BIOS and toggle VT off rebooted, turn it back on, rebooted, still no video. As I was about to give up for good, i connected the LAN cable to the machine and magically! the screen came to life! Windows even played the same sound it plays when you connect an USB drive! It's currently running at 1440x900 which is, its native resolution.

I have no explanation how this happened. I have attached a printscreen of the device manager on this machine. It strikes me as interesting, that there is a "Video Controller" listed under other devices. This machine has just the intel graphics, no other display adapter is fitted.

Windows10_TechnicalPreview_x64_EN-US_9926
20150314-T61-Device-Manager.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it finally got the video driver up and running. The noise you heard was likely the found new hardware noise which is very similar to the noise when you plug and unplug a usb device.
The network adapter cable being plugged in at the same time was either a huge coincidence or the means by which it was finally able to obtain (download) and install the proper driver. Which to me looks like the generic Microsoft one.
Looks like you may still need to do some work getting the underlying chipset and other hardware drivers installed.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information although when stuff happens automagically it boggles the mind and can be frustrating.

Ask a Question