Nobody can figure this out about cortana

Reaction score
I am a freshman in college and I bought a laptop with windows 7 knowing that the school was going to give me windows 10 free. The problem is that Cortana isn't there. I looked up how to fix it and the setting they were telling me to activate weren't there. I have Cortana and speech settings but there is no way to activate it. I don't know whether there is a student version of windows 10 that excludes Cortana or what.

Reaction score
Some will disagree, but, I don't believe you are not missing much. I personally don't like Cortana or use it.
Maybe it's not available in a student edition, Imagine a classroom of grade 7's all shouting different commands, it would be enough to give Cortana a headache.

Reaction score
I don't know whether there is a student version of windows 10 that excludes Cortana or what.
You don't know any other students which have Win 10 you could check with?

Are you on a Microsoft Account since Cortana needs to have that access?

When you click on Cortana in the Task Bar what happens. If you open Task Manager and go to the Details tab, there is a listing for SearchUI.exe. It may say the status is suspended but when you click Cortana it should start running.

I don't run an academic version so not sure about it being disabled but if that were the case, being in a classroom setting I could see why it might cause problems.

Last edited:

Ask a Question