SOLVED Windows and background colour disfigured

Reaction score
I've had both windows 10 and windows 8.1 on my pc but recently 8.1 deleted itself and my computers colours have gone awry. Help??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Max. Were you running Windows 10 and 8.1 via Dual boot, or had you upgraded from 8.1 > 10 and then removed the old 8.1 data?

Could you please try right clicking somewhere empty on the desktop and select Personalise. Then, are you able to change the background colour to something more satisfactory by choosing an image/colour from the list shown? If you want to revert it back to the default Windows 10 appearance, click Themes from the sidebar and choose the "Windows" theme:

Capture.PNG

If that doesn't help, can you please attach a screenshot to your reply, which may demonstrate the problem to us :). You can use the "snipping tool" (search for this on the start menu) to take a screenshot.

Reaction score
Well windows 8.1 has appeared again but the colour/ratio/contrast is still very wrong...
However I have a sneaky suspicion its the GPU.

Also I'm doing this on my phone as its too hard to traverse my computer and it's not letting me send a picture :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much help I can be without an image - although it should be possible to attach an image using the site "upload a file" feature underneath the reply box. Which part of sending the image is causing a problem, and I'll send additional instructions :).

Reaction score
It keeps coming up with an error whenever the image has finished uploaded. But what I can tell you is everything looks like a huge acid trip.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It it looks corrupted, then I'd do a clean install of your GPU drivers... but it could be the GPU overheating or failing if it's how I'm imaging (both times a graphics card failed on me, I had purple/green graphical corruption).

Do you get display problems from the very moment you power your PC on?

Can you explain a little more about how you have Windows 8.1 AND Windows 10 on your PC please? Can you boot in to both, or is Windows 8.1 just the left-over file system from the upgrade?

Reaction score
Well it skips the motherboard startup display and goes straight to the point where I can choose 10 or 8.1 (I've never tried 8.1 but I assume it's just an empty file). This is where the colour gets all messed up and looks as you said, purple/green pixelated mess.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can you please try Windows 8.1 and see if it actually boots?

How did you get your Windows 10 installation - did you upgrade at some point, or manually clean install it?

Reaction score
Well it did the motherboard intro, my computer is up to something fishy. Anyways windows 8 just leads a black blank screen.

Windows 10 actually installed itself automatically, I wanted to stay 8.

Reaction score
I have done some further tests and discovered it is the GPU that was giving me issues. I think I may have cracked some of the wires due to pushing it to some extreme temperatures

Ask a Question