Cannot configure AHCI storage in BIOS

Reaction score
When I initially built my PC in 2011, I'm pretty sure I selected AHCI configuration in my BIOS. Recently strange things were happening, such as two out of four of my internal HDDs could not be found in File Explorer. I went into BIOS and found that the storage configuration had somehow switched to SATA mode instead of AHCI mode. When I switched it back and restarted windows I kept getting BSOD. It would not or could not repair itself unless I did a recover or restore of WIndows OR unless I went back into BIOS and changed it back to SATA mode.

I have since removed the two suspect HDDs and transferred all files off of them and then reformatted them. I will use them later in another rig, maybe. This morning I went into my BIOS again to see if after the removal of the two drives, I could try to go back to AHCI mode. When I did that and restarted, I got the BSOD again.

So, my question, though possibly vague, is whether or not this is a motherboard issue or maybe a Windows 10 issue. I've been running win 10 for a few years with hardly any problems at all. I am planning to build another PC in a few weeks or more. I will probably not use anything from this current build, considering that it is well over 6 and close to 7 years old. I recently had to do a Windows 10 repair/reinstall because I had to go into safe mode but could not exit from it. Something was corrupt, so after I reinstalled windows 10, everything seems to be running smoother (with the exception of the recent BSOD).

Like I said, this sounds quite vague, but if anyone thinks that they might know what or why this happened, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Reaction score
I had the same problem trying to change to AHCI. It wouldn't boot. When I found that you have to switch to safe boot first to do it. then it worked perfect. You have to use MSCONFIG to switch to safe boot.

To switch from Raid to AHCI
1. Run MSCONFIG
2. Enable Safe Boot (minimal)
3. Reboot into UEFI/BIOS and change to AHCI
4. Boot up into safe mode
5. Run MSCONFIG and disable Safe Boot.
6. Reboot

Reaction score
I followed your instructions and so far no BSOD. I wasn't quite confident that it would work, but so far it is running . I will need to go back into BIOS to see if it is indeed in AHCI mode. Be right back!

Reaction score
And I am back! AHCI is still the mode it is in! Whew! Once again, I want to thank you for your help! All's right with the world now!

Reaction score
And I am back! AHCI is still the mode it is in! Whew! Once again, I want to thank you for your help! All's right with the world now!
I'm glad I could help. I know I was when it worked for me. Thanks to SaltGrass.

Ask a Question