Old IE Favorites to New Windows 10

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 10. I would like to get my "Favorites" file from my old computer onto the new one. I copied the Favorites file to a USB but can't figure out how to install it on the new computer. I plan to use Google Chrome as my browser and I get messages that I must import the files from IE. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you..

Reaction score
Iirc you paste the favourites folder under the C>Users>Your name, tbh there is probably already a folder named favourites there for IE 11. If you want to use Edge you can then import your IE favourites under the settings within Edge.

Reaction score
Before I can begin anything, I must tell you that I just opened the USB that I transferred my Favorites file to. It seems that most of the files within Favorites are empty or contain only one of the files that should be there. What did I do wrong and how do I get all the files transferred.

Regarding your above reply, I don't know what lirc means. Please advise. Thank you.

Reaction score
If I Remember Correctly (IIRC)
IE11 is part of Win10, but no shortcuts anywhere.
It's located here: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
Favorites are in the same place as they were before.
Don't know what you did wrong in copying the old ones. Do you know how to copy files & folders?
Not sure what you mean by "transferred"?

Reaction score
I am thoroughly confused. . When I began to use Google I had to import my favorites so I could continue to use the ones I already had. When I imported them into Google Chrome they became two separate files. Now when I have a new "favorite" where does it go? The file I am finding called "Imported from IE" is no longer the same as the file called "Favorites". Do I "bookmark" a new file because that is what Google uses and then I have two files that I must use? Can the files "imported from IE" be incorporated into bookmarks so that going forward I just use bookmarks. Is there any article that explains all of this?..Please help me straighten this out. Thank you.

Reaction score
Quote. "IE11 is part of Win10, but no shortcuts anywhere"

The shortcut for IE is still in the start menu, from where it can be copied to a location with which you are more familiar.
In the start menu, scroll down to "Windows accessories". It is in there. You can right click, as usual, and copy it , for example, to the taskbar.

Reaction score
I know that IE is still in windows 10. I use it. The point of this discussion is that I would like to use Google Chrome instead. However Google imports my IE favorites so I can access them but I don't seem to find any way to join them into Googles bookmarks so I have them all in one file. Do you have any opinions on how or if that is possible to do?

Reaction score
Sorry, otti. My post was meant as info for Comp Cmndo´ See my Quote
I don't use Chrome, so no help, but I am sure someone on the site will pop in very shortly.

Reaction score
Ok. For self retribution I installed Chrome.
As You are using IE, there should not be a problem.

At the top was a bar, which said, import you favourites now. I clicked it and selected IE and everything was imported successfully. No need for the USB.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would like to get my "Favorites" file from my old computer onto the new one.
Open IE on your old computer
Click the Star in the top right corner
Use the drop down arrow at the top to choose "Import and Export" choose Export to a file
Check "Favorites"
Make sure "Favorites" is highlight in the next box to include any subfolders
The next page will give you the location where it will store the file (you can browse to a location of your choice)
The important thing is to add an "L" to the end of the path to make it an html file rather than an htm file as Google wants to import from an .html file.
You can rename the file extension afterwards if you want, it just needs to be something.html
NOW....
Just go into Google and do the import thing and choose "Bookmarks HTML File"

Ask a Question