One Big Rotten Egg

Reaction score
Why does Windows 10 background slideshow have such few choices? Windows 7 had 16 time settings; Windows 10 has only six. Why does Microsoft think its users want so many apps running in the background? They should all be off by default. The reasons are this: Microsoft has turned its back on desktop users; Windows 10 is nothing more than a phone program poorly adapted to run on computers; Microsoft has demonstrated nothing to me but big corporate arrogance, laying the biggest rotten egg in computer history; they think they are so big, so correct, that they know what is better for us than we do. Why hasn't this big fart machine lowered prices on its software? Microsoft Office and Microsoft operating systems are the most expensive on the market. Open Office is free. Linux Mint is free. When will Microsoft believe they have made enough money off of us? When will they design an operating system again for computers, not just phones and tablets? Windows 10 is a joke, the 'brain' child of a money hungry corporation that has lost all concern and care for its customers.

Reaction score
You are absolutely at liberty to run Mint with Open ( or Libre) Office. You can even run one of two or three varieties of virtual managers so that you may run some Windows programs that you approve of on Linux. OK.

You could get an Enterprise version of Windows 10 and then strip out all that you consider superfluous....I bet that would make it a much cleaner and faster system and I wish that MS would offer a Home system with that capability baked in.

Reaction score
SMH. You are just learning this??????????? Corporations trying to make money???????? OMG. I'm shocked.

If you don't like it, to use it. Run Mint/Ubuntu/Fedora, etc. Just don't plan on hardcore gaming.

Reaction score
Bigfeet ... it seems he has a valid point and God forbid your NOT a computer GEEK or else you would understand the frustration from MILLIONS of WIN 10 users,... You are forgetting that a service has to be "FIT FOR USE" and it clearly is not. In fact It bearly functions at all. I say that win 10 should be withdrawn until they resolve the thousands ...yes thousands of issues that are making people turn to tablets in disgust. As to your suggestion never heard of any of them as I'm not a computer GEEK like millions of others, :-D

Reaction score
I am a Geek and I was not in anyway forced to update from Win 7 to 10. It was my Choice. I have tested every release since 9926. I can tell you that it is stable, more so than 7 ever was. Now if you have 8 year old equipmewnt do not expect miracles.

Reaction score
lol Gideon you were one the few then because even if you said no guess what it actually happened. As to it being more stable..... seems the thousands of issues suffered by win 10 since it release continue to frustrate and annoy millions of people across the globe. That is simply "just truth" in anyones language,

Reaction score
I will give you an example of an annoying issue although I'm sure I could probably and in all honesty give a few thousand lol Downloading and playing an online game should be a SIMPLE process of just downloading the game and then login in and playing as I'm sure everyone would agree :-D However the reality in WIN 10 is this you have to change the way the computer receives data before you can play online. My question is a simple one..... why is this happening surely MOST people including yourself download and play online games so surely it should be set to ON not OFF in the first place. Simples isn't it....... well seems it IS NOT lmao .It cannot be right or indeed SAFE to go delving DEEP into the command prompts section everytime there is a known issue in order to resolve it. These issues should not be occurring in the first instance as they should have been sorted before release.

Reaction score
I will give you an example of an annoying issue although I'm sure I could probably and in all honesty give a few thousand lol Downloading and playing an online game should be a SIMPLE process of just downloading the game and then login in and playing as I'm sure everyone would agree :-D However the reality in WIN 10 is this you have to change the way the computer receives data before you can play online. My question is a simple one..... why is this happening surely MOST people including yourself download and play online games so surely it should be set to ON not OFF in the first place. Simples isn't it....... well seems it IS NOT lmao .It cannot be right or indeed SAFE to go delving DEEP into the command prompts section everytime there is a known issue in order to resolve it. These issues should not be occurring in the first instance as they should have been sorted before release.
-D However the reality in WIN 10 is this you have to change the way the computer receives data before you can play online

The above line is totally incorrect. I had to change nothing.

Reaction score
I have made my point and its "just truth". I and everyone else just want to switch on our computer and do what we want with it without having to seek advice, tick and untick boxes in the router and elsewhere .To delve into the dark secrets of the command prompt which if not done correctly can cause MAJOR issues as you well know, simply to SWITCH THINGS ON that should already be on lol I do not have the time nor the notion to spend hours trying to make my computer do simple things which it should already be doing but this is what myself and millions are having to do on a regular bases..... hence the comments of total frustration today.

Reaction score
I have made my point and its "just truth". I and everyone else just want to switch on our computer and do what we want with it without having to seek advice, tick and untick boxes in the router and elsewhere .To delve into the dark secrets of the command prompt which if not done correctly can cause MAJOR issues as you well know, simply to SWITCH THINGS ON that should already be on lol I do not have the time nor the notion to spend hours trying to make my computer do simple things which it should already be doing but this is what myself and millions are having to do on a regular bases..... hence the comments of total frustration today.
You have made nothing except a point that you do not like Win 10. You can go back to whatever you were using before you updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Actually you will find that I cannot and was never given the option to do so, or I would do so as my computer actually worked perfectly well until win 10 came along and caused all sorts of problems.How is it I didn't have any of these issues using win 7 but have them with win 10 mmmm seems to be no answer to that is there lol

Reaction score
Actually you will find that I cannot and was never given the option to do so, or I would do so as my computer actually worked perfectly well until win 10 came along and caused all sorts of problems.How is it I didn't have any of these issues using win 7 but have them with win 10 mmmm seems to be no answer to that is there lol

Everyone has that option until 7.29.2016 No One is going to tell you that. Some things one must figure out on their own. MS certainly will not tell you. When I went with Windows 10, I made an image of Windows 7 anyone that does not is playing with fire.

Reaction score
Don't you guys ever get tired of cookie-cutter responses? Microsoft sacrificed a perfectly good operating system in Windows 7, and for what? Apps? The only folks I know who use 'apps' are those with smart phones (and by the way, the word is 'applications'; 'apps' is for teenagers who think it's cool not to use correct English and for young adults who are too lazy to). So your answer to me is "go with Open Office or Linux." Funny that you did not seem even slightly interested in taking me seriously or addressing my concerns. Maybe it's because Microsoft thinks its crap tastes like ice cream. I'll tell you what really stinks - Microsoft attempting to coerce everyone into accepting Windows 10 by posting an icon in their taskbar, an icon which cannot be removed, or by installing Windows 10 via automatic updates without anyone's permission. Someone should initiate a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for invasion of privacy and for altering equipment which it doesn't own. Why has Microsoft removed free trials of Windows 7? The answer is - removing any personal choice by its customers. More coercion. So I'm going to follow your dim witted solutions. I'm going to remove from my computer everything that bears the Microsoft name. I will post on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter everything I have found wrong with Windows 10, including the skimpy Edge, I will post how arrogant and conceited Microsoft has become and urge everyone to use other operating systems and other office products. You have not had a nightmare like the one you just created in me.

Reaction score
Don't you guys ever get tired of cookie-cutter responses? Microsoft sacrificed a perfectly good operating system in Windows 7, and for what? Apps? The only folks I know who use 'apps' are those with smart phones (and by the way, the word is 'applications'; 'apps' is for teenagers who think it's cool not to use correct English and for young adults who are too lazy to). So your answer to me is "go with Open Office or Linux." Funny that you did not seem even slightly interested in taking me seriously or addressing my concerns. Maybe it's because Microsoft thinks its crap tastes like ice cream. I'll tell you what really stinks - Microsoft attempting to coerce everyone into accepting Windows 10 by posting an icon in their taskbar, an icon which cannot be removed, or by installing Windows 10 via automatic updates without anyone's permission. Someone should initiate a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for invasion of privacy and for altering equipment which it doesn't own. Why has Microsoft removed free trials of Windows 7? The answer is - removing any personal choice by its customers. More coercion. So I'm going to follow your dim witted solutions. I'm going to remove from my computer everything that bears the Microsoft name. I will post on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter everything I have found wrong with Windows 10, including the skimpy Edge, I will post how arrogant and conceited Microsoft has become and urge everyone to use other operating systems and other office products. You have not had a nightmare like the one you just created in me.

MS did not force you to use it. You can go back to i7 anytime you want.

Reaction score
Hi John. What Apps (applications) do you have running constantly in the background? Are they consuming resources? Just curious.
" Microsoft has turned its back on desktop users;" I have 10 running as smoothly as it did on any previous OS on my desktop.
"They think they are so big, so correct, that they know what is better for us than we do." Well, arguable, but the OS was subjected to testing and feedback - by the general public, for many months before its final release.

"Microsoft Office and Microsoft operating systems are the most expensive on the market. Open Office is free. Linux Mint is free." Exactly. You make your own point. Windows 10 is actually free, but possibly digressing there.

FWIW.
" the word is 'applications'; 'apps' is for teenagers who think it's cool not to use correct English and for young adults who are too lazy to"
I am English, and old. I have to go through a learning experience, often, these days, particularly in the area of IT, to keep up with the language. I have no idea what a "cookie-cutter" response is. It was only with my growing children and grand children, some years ago, that I discovered that "cool" meant something other than its association with the weather. Still working on a "blocked" computer

Mithrildeep:
"continue to frustrate and annoy millions of people across the globe."
Perhaps you should look here. There are many similar pages.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/15/survey-indicates-us-consumers-like-windows-10/

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-of-us-consumers-on-windows-10.html?#comments

One cannot credit the requests and complaints (other than straight whining) that is read on forums. That is the purpose of forums - to seek help.

There is another similar thread somewhere on the forum, but, to repeat. I install/upgrade locally, mostly for "no longer young" users. Yes, I am available for feedback and problems. Admittedly, most of the requests for help are associated with new navigation of previously well know items. To date, I do not have any realistic and large complaints of the OS.

Reaction score
" I'm going to remove from my computer everything that bears the Microsoft name. "

OK. I did that once. Used Ubuntu and Open Office for some years. Thus missing the unreliability of XP and the half baked-ness of Vista.. If one has no interest in 'gaming' this works really well and is very fast and reliable. Cheap as well. Far fewer virii and malware exploits. The Nigerian princes who want to send you money just bounce off.

If you really don't like W10 then go for it.

Reaction score
The problem with 10 is not 10 but users who don't want to register with Microsoft and get an account or don't want to learn the new way. Security seems tighter in 10 than all previous versions so it frustrates users. I went to 10 from 8.1 on PC, 7 to 10 on laptop and bought a new laptop with 10. All are slick and smooth like butter. Have I had problems? Yes but to be fair I had problems with all the systems from 3.1 all the way up. XP was terrible when first came out as I went from previous system which I was used to so there was a learning curve. Worst system was by far Millennium or ME for short. As with any operating system once you go thru the settings that you need then rest is automatic. 10 is quicker than any other system I have used.

Ask a Question