Big problem with this big update in windows

Reaction score
I lost Edge! on one of my 4 PC's why? after the big update if I open Edge I get a blank page then it crashes, now I know how to reinstall but I get as far as Delete, and then I get need admin approval, so I click skip then I get as far as it telling me another program is open in Edge, have no idea what that could be except for IE which I have to use now, or could it be windows classic 8 which I also have running? I can uninstall classic 8 but do not want to get rid of IE may need it? anyone any idea's?
I have read where this happened to a lot of folks, maybe windows needs to come up with and update fix?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you click the "Settings" cog -> Apps icon -> scroll down to Microsoft Edge -> Click that and then the "Advanced options" link and then scroll down to the section labeled "Reset"
Have you tried either or both the "Repair" and the "Reset" buttons to see if that helps with the problem??

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Of course I tried all of that twice did absolutely nothing! as was stated by all others in another forum.

Reaction score
I have to ask why you're skipping the Admin approval request. It would have been nice if you had mentioned what you have tried to date.

Reaction score
Skipping is the only way it moves on and now today I figured out the reason it would not delete is because I also had Windows Classic 8 Start on my PC which is linked to Edge, so I uninstalled it and now hopefully it is deleting Edge but it was somehow interrupted at 79 files and is still running hopefully deleting 159? wondering now after 10- mins if it's actually deleting, no one mentioned how long this would take. I may need to cancel this re-start and try again?
Problem is still not solved, No Edge only blank pg. then crash! it simply will not Delete and whatever it is telling me is open in Edge folder, I sure wish I knew? so got to use IE for now, darn!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I lost Edge! on one of my 4 PC's why? after the big update if I open Edge I get a blank page then it crashes, now I know how to reinstall but I get as far as Delete, and then I get need admin approval, so I click skip then I get as far as it telling me another program is open in Edge, have no idea what that could be except for IE which I have to use now, or could it be windows classic 8 which I also have running? I can uninstall classic 8 but do not want to get rid of IE may need it? anyone any idea's?
I have read where this happened to a lot of folks, maybe windows needs to come up with and update fix?

Which update have you installed? Is it 1803/17134.83? Which is the latest version/OS build for Win 10. Its the June 5, 2018—KB4338548 (OS Build 17134.83) but, it doesn't matter what update you have done. Do the following:

First, do a system restore, this option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

Restore from a system restore point
  1. Select the Start button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.
Note
If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

After you have 'Restore from a system restore point' then go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4338548/june-5-2018-kb4338548-os-build-17134-83 and download the latest 'June 5, 2018—KB4338548 (OS Build 17134.83)' update manually. Its reference and link is here 'To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website' and then download and install the appropriate updates which are either '2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4338548)' or '2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems (KB4338548)' as this might be your MS Edge problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well after trying everything and more LOL I finally restored my PC back to an earlier version of W10 before the latest Build and I lost nothing all is as normal and Edge opens with my msn homepage and all is well once again. It's an option available in W10 and it works great!

Reaction score
Well after trying everything and more LOL I finally restored my PC back to an earlier version of W10 before the latest Build and I lost nothing all is as normal and Edge opens with my msn homepage and all is well once again. It's an option available in W10 and it works great!

That is good, just remember, the simplest solutions are always the best solutions and first steps that anyone should take, there is no need to do complicated 'work arounds' as you complicate things even more and cause other problems. You should try and install the latest windows 10 update manually (I don't know which Win 10 you have?) but, the June 5, 2018—KB4338548 (OS Build 17134.83) update works for both Win 10 Pro and Home 64-86-based Systems. This is a necessary step with windows, as you have to have windows up to date. I've never ever had any problems with Win 10, its a great operating system and Microsoft should be commended for finally devising such a great operating system that works right across the board.

Ask a Question