SOLVED One week into Win10

Reaction score
Due to MS continued badgering and bullying their way into my laptop world with their incessant attempts to secretly upgrade my system while I was asleep, I finally relented and performed the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

Have to say, the results of the Win10 upgrade were satisfactory here. My laptop performs faster, looks cleaner, and the routine updates seem to be handled more efficiently. I'm glad the battle is over with MS for the moment.

HOWEVER ... a couple of days ago I opted to update my office PC to Win10 and was left with a [slightly] distorted image on my 5 year old widescreen monitor. At this time, no adjustments seem to be available for me since the monitor is past its 'support' life from Acer. This distortion is not radical enough for me to make any major new purchases and I'm slowly being trained by my monitor to accept the new look.

All in all, I glad to move on with more pressing life issues. Good luck to everybody with their yea/nay decision to upgrade.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really pleased you're enjoying Windows 10 for the most part :).

With regards to the distorted monitor image, I'm very sure that is fixable. Do you know the monitor model number? It may be that you're using a resolution that isn't optimal, so it's stretching/compressing the image to get it to fix. If you can find the monitor model number, I can do some digging to find the native resolution.

You could also see if there is a recommended resolution (or the correct one if you know it) suggested by WIndows using this method:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-resolution.33/

Reaction score
I'm really pleased you're enjoying Windows 10 for the most part :).

With regards to the distorted monitor image, I'm very sure that is fixable. Do you know the monitor model number? It may be that you're using a resolution that isn't optimal, so it's stretching/compressing the image to get it to fix. If you can find the monitor model number, I can do some digging to find the native resolution.

You could also see if there is a recommended resolution (or the correct one if you know it) suggested by WIndows using this method:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-resolution.33/
Hello, Ian -
Thanks for your input and yes, the model number of my monitor is Acer H233H LCD (23"). I've spent some time working through the designated Win10 resolution options, but those changes are too radical for the necessary 'tweaking' of my monitor. I've also manipulated the monitor's settings in order to find a resolution.
I've contacted Acer by phone which led to a "no longer supported" issue, and I did not feel paying for info at this time was my preference. I posted on the Acer community forum and got no replies to date.
Of course I'm open to any help you might provide.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I opted to update my office PC to Win10 and was left with a [slightly] distorted image
The issue may have more to do with your computer's video adapter than with you monitor.
It is not unusual, after an upgrade, to have to also upgrade some hardware drivers in the process.
Perhaps you might check with the computer manufacturer and or the specific manufacturer of your video card and see if there is a driver update available.
Sometimes just reinstalling the driver will straighten things out.

Reaction score
The issue may have more to do with your computer's video adapter than with you monitor.
It is not unusual, after an upgrade, to have to also upgrade some hardware drivers in the process.
Perhaps you might check with the computer manufacturer and or the specific manufacturer of your video card and see if there is a driver update available.
Sometimes just reinstalling the driver will straighten things out.
Trouble - Yes, and thank you for that suggestion. I've been down that road and came up empty due to the age of my monitor. I contacted ACER with no resolution.

Reaction score
The update may have changed you video card original resolution frequency to Windows default settings.
1 Create a manual Restore Point to be safe.

2.You could try changing the card settings for satisfactory screen resolution.
Click on Start > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display adapter properties.
The PC adapter information will be listed. Click on properties and it will list the frequencies available for your monitor, you could select one of the other listed frequencies and see if you notice any improvement.
3. Additionally if you click on the "List all Modes" you will see a list of all valid modes available for your monitor with different (up to 4) frequencies for the available selected resolutions.

Reaction score
The problem is not with Acer. The problem is that you have the wrong resolution set in your graphics adapter settings. You need to find out what the native resolution of your monitor is and set your setting in the graphics adapter accordingly.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good feedback - your input was appreciated. I'll make another run at changing the settings in my graphics adapter,

Reaction score
What are your system specs? What graphics adapter do you have? Some older graphics cards/onboard graphics don't have supported drivers. I have a laptop and a desktop that had to rely on the basic windows graphics driver, which didn't allow me to use my monitors native resolution. I'm suspecting this is your issue. Check what resolutions are available. If 1920x1080 isn't, then that's most likely the issue.

I have an Acer G235H 23" which is only a year newer, and it works fine on this PC, but looked bad on my older PC with an unsupported graphics card.

Reaction score
What are your system specs? What graphics adapter do you have? Some older graphics cards/onboard graphics don't have supported drivers. I have a laptop and a desktop that had to rely on the basic windows graphics driver, which didn't allow me to use my monitors native resolution. I'm suspecting this is your issue. Check what resolutions are available. If 1920x1080 isn't, then that's most likely the issue.

I have an Acer G235H 23" which is only a year newer, and it works fine on this PC, but looked bad on my older PC with an unsupported graphics card.
BigFeet - Ah, yes. I think you nailed it, exactly. The adapter is a MS Basic Display, DOM: June, 2006. The available resolutions are, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480. My attempts to update this driver indicated 'best available' already installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The adapter is a MS Basic Display
That would be a generic driver supplied by Microsoft and not actually a "real" physical device at all.
Typically your video adapter would likely be produced by nVidia, AMD / ATI, or Intel.
As I suggested above, you need to determine what hardware you have and then the appropriate source for the driver......

Reaction score
That would be a generic driver supplied by Microsoft and not actually a "real" physical device at all.
Typically your video adapter would likely be produced by nVidia, AMD / ATI, or Intel.
As I suggested above, you need to determine what hardware you have and then the appropriate source for the driver......
Chip Type: NVIDIA
DAC Type: NVIDIA Corp
Adapt String: MS Basic
BIOS info: Crush50Board - c51pvg0
Available graphic memory: 1759MB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Let's try it this way.
Right click the Start Button and choose Device Manager.
Expland Display Adapter
Right click the adapter that is showing and choose properties
Select the Details tab
Change the "Property" drop down from Device description to Hardware Ids
Select then right click the top line in the "Value" box and choose copy.
Paste that into your next post
Should look something like but not identical to this

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DC4&SUBSYS_83651043&REV_A1

Reaction score
Let's try it this way.
Right click the Start Button and choose Device Manager.
Expland Display Adapter
Right click the adapter that is showing and choose properties
Select the Details tab
Change the "Property" drop down from Device description to Hardware Ids
Select then right click the top line in the "Value" box and choose copy.
Paste that into your next post
Should look something like but not identical to this

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DC4&SUBSYS_83651043&REV_A1
Mine looks like this:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0241&SUBSYS_01EC1028&REV_A2

Reaction score
That's the Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE onboard graphics. There are Windows 8 drivers that may work. No guarantee, but if you want to give it a go, try one of these depending on if you have a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 10.

64bit http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/82758
or
32bit http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/82701
BigFeet - The link you provided for the 32 bit system downloaded and installed easily. The end result provided 16 optional resolution settings as opposed to my original 4 (four). I notice the 1920 x 1080 is (recommended) but the 1600 x 1024 setting seems to be a more comfortable view for me. I'm curious why one is recommended. That said, it all works better now.

Thanks to you and Trouble (above) for all your assistance. It's truly appreciated.

Reaction score
BTW, I did reset my resolution to the recommended 1920 x 1080 and then readjusted my screen font for larger viewing.

Reaction score
I'm glad it all worked out :). Windows still does a poor job of installing correct hardware drivers. More than once it's tried to install older video drivers than I already have.

Reaction score
BigFeet - I'ml trying to tweak my display settings in order to find a suitable resting place for my Win10 viewing ease. Since you mentioned earlier that you use a similar sized monitor, would you mind sharing your various 'display' settings from "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items"? Not that what you have is an end all determinate of my viewing ease, but if you don't mind I'd like to know what you use. Thanks.

Title Bars
Menus
Message Boxes
Palette Titles
Icons
Tooltips

Ask a Question