Outlook 2016, backing up of emails

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with unwanted deletion of emails. I just purchased and began using Outlook 2016.

Is there is a program available for backing up emails received and sent with Outlook 2016?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depending on how you setup Outlook 2016 or more specifically how you setup your account within Outlook 2016 (POP3 / IMAP versus Exchange ActiveSync) your outlook stuff (emails, calendar, contacts) are stored in one of two file formats, either .pst or .ost
These "stores" (the st part of pst and ost) are either "personal" (pst) or "online" (ost).
Perhaps for a better understanding, you might read this http://www.msoutlook.info/question/802

So basically or perhaps ideally you'd want to configure Outlook 2016 and your associated account as a POP3 style account which will keep everything of importance in your local copy of the .pst file, and.....
That is the file you would want to make sure you backup.
There is no need for a specific, dedicated Outlook backup program as most backup programs will back up a .pst file as long as the file location is included in the backup schema.

IF you're asking for a good, comprehensive and robust backup program, my recommendation is Acronis True Image (use it to create disk images of everything on your physical disk(s))
Shop around and wait for a deal. I just got an upgrade plus a full version for a second computer from Acronis for $20 bucks.
There are other products available that offer similar solutions which might be worth looking into....
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Many people seem to really like Macrium Reflect which I believe has a free version.
I've just always used Acronis and found it very reliable so I've stuck with it.

Reaction score
Depending on how you setup Outlook 2016 or more specifically how you setup your account within Outlook 2016 (POP3 / IMAP versus Exchange ActiveSync) your outlook stuff (emails, calendar, contacts) are stored in one of two file formats, either .pst or .ost
These "stores" (the st part of pst and ost) are either "personal" (pst) or "online" (ost).
Perhaps for a better understanding, you might read this http://www.msoutlook.info/question/802

So basically or perhaps ideally you'd want to configure Outlook 2016 and your associated account as a POP3 style account which will keep everything of importance in your local copy of the .pst file, and.....
That is the file you would want to make sure you backup.
There is no need for a specific, dedicated Outlook backup program as most backup programs will back up a .pst file as long as the file location is included in the backup schema.

IF you're asking for a good, comprehensive and robust backup program, my recommendation is Acronis True Image (use it to create disk images of everything on your physical disk(s))
Shop around and wait for a deal. I just got an upgrade plus a full version for a second computer from Acronis for $20 bucks.
There are other products available that offer similar solutions which might be worth looking into....
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Many people seem to really like Macrium Reflect which I believe has a free version.
I've just always used Acronis and found it very reliable so I've stuck with it.

This is an extremely helpful response. Thank you.

To see what you meant, I searched for files on my computer with a .pst extension.

I went to c:/Users/Roger Smith/Documents/Outlook Files/

In that folder, there was a file names roger.smith106 @ verizon.net.pst; file size 345.729 kb.

The file was created (or at least updated) just now, i.e., is current.

If I save this file, by copying and pasting it to an external backup drive, does this mean that all of my individual emails have been backed up and saved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with unwanted deletion of emails. I just purchased and began using Outlook 2016.

Is there is a program available for backing up emails received and sent with Outlook 2016?
My company uses SafePstbackup from 4Team corporation, their product works just fine, their support is very helpful aswell, maybe they will be able to help you too.

Reaction score
If you only use POP or IMAP then they are saved in a .PST file. However, if you use Exchange (e.g. Office 365) then they are saved in a .OST file.

For IMAP and Exchange, they original emails are kept on the host server and are synched with your PC (or multiple PCs if you connect using more than one). If you delete an email locally, the copy on the server is also deleted when it synchs - and then the other PCs when they synch.

For POP (as far as I remember, I never use it), when you synch, the emails are downloaded to your PC and are then deleted off the host server.

regards

Alan

Ask a Question