Outlook 2016 Problems

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my Windows 8.1.1 to Windows 10 1511 on my desktop and tablet computers, and Outlook 2016 is giving problems. Let me explain.

Outlook 2016 seems to run normally in the Desktop mode. However in the Tablet mode of my desktop and tablet computers, Outlook 2016 is exited if I click on the X in the upper-right corner of any display. So, I have to use Outlook buttons in the Taskbar to move around Outlook without closing it. Has anyone noticed that behavior and found a cure for it. I can also use Task View to move around Outlook 2016 without closing it.

Last night, I got a message from Microsoft saying something about unusual activity being detected in my Outlook 2016 and strongly suggesting I change my password. So, I did. Now, I can log on to my computers and OneDrive on both computers OK. However, Outlook 2016 on both computers requires me to enter my new password in order to log on each time I launch Outlook 2016. After Outlook is launched, it runs OK until the next time I have to launch it, and then I must enter my password once again. Does anyone know how to fix my password-entry problem?

Reaction score
Because I can't find a way to edit my post as one can in some forums, I'm updating my post by replying to it. I got my Outlook 2016 to launch without my password after starting or restarting my system. Actually, I tried the solution yesterday, but it didn't work for some reason unknown to me. Today, I simply checked the box to have my password saved in my list (whatever and wherever that is) and, BAM!, the problem was corrected. I'm very glad I tried one more time before uninstalling Outlook 2016 and reinstalling it to try to correct the problem. And most of all, I'm glad I didn't have to call Microsoft and go through that torture and end up with nothing to show for it.

That said, the behavior of Outlook 2016 described in the second paragraph of my first post is alive and well. So, I'm still open to comments about that issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
Glad to hear that you managed to get it working.
I believe the saved password thing that you are talking about would be the Credential Manager in the Control Panel, probably Web Credentials.... have a look.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
Glad to hear that you managed to get it working.
I believe the saved password thing that you are talking about would be the Credential Manager in the Control Panel, probably Web Credentials.... have a look.

Thanks for the input. I looked as you suggested but didn't find credentials for Outlook 2016. Oddly, the Mail app didn't require a password, and it can see all of my Outlook 2016 mail activity and send mail. If Microsoft would make Mail just a little bit better, I might be inclined to use it rather than Outlook 2016, for it behaves better than Outlook 2016 in Windows 10 in the Tablet mode.

Ask a Question