SOLVED Partition new HD

Reaction score
My PC is new and I'm installing a Samsung 500 GB SSD. The HD that came with the PC is a 1TB 7200rpm HD & mostly empty, with the OSP Win10 on it now I have only used 78GB of the space. What I want to do is partition it to use most of it to become my internal back up HD where I store all my stuff, files, picts, video etc. I need to keep that HD in case I have an issue of some kind as my warranty runs for 4yrs from now. The SSD is 500GB so has ample room for my OSP & any Programs I may load. How do I go about splitting that HD now. I could copy or clone it to my EXT HD then install it back at a later date if needed but that seems like a lot of work or I could clone the Samsung back but if the motherboard is the problem that probably would not work so my 1st idea is probably best. How do I accomplish this.

Reaction score
My PC is new and I'm installing a Samsung 500 GB SSD. The HD that came with the PC is a 1TB 7200rpm HD & mostly empty, with the OSP Win10 on it now I have only used 78GB of the space. What I want to do is partition it to use most of it to become my internal back up HD where I store all my stuff, files, picts, video etc. I need to keep that HD in case I have an issue of some kind as my warranty runs for 4yrs from now. The SSD is 500GB so has ample room for my OSP & any Programs I may load. How do I go about splitting that HD now. I could copy or clone it to my EXT HD then install it back at a later date if needed but that seems like a lot of work or I could clone the Samsung back but if the motherboard is the problem that probably would not work so my 1st idea is probably best. How do I accomplish this.
I would install Macrium Reflect Free or Paid for either will do what you want to do now.
After install and rescue USB is created and tested to ensure it boots all the way to MR in Win PE.
Create a full disk Image on an external hard drive. You will keep this as a way to get back to where you are right now at any time in the future.
Install The SSD, leave the HD in and boot to MR there you will clone your Hard drive to your SSD, do this by dragging each partition down from your hard drive to the SSD make sure your C partition is last on the disk. At this time you can adjust the size of C partition if you want to make it small. Complete the clone and then shut down the computer does not reboot shut down and remove the hard drive. Now boot up and you'll find your SSD is running a lot faster than that old hard drive. At this point, you can put up that hard drive for later or put it in a SATA to USB adapter and format it for a data drive and reinstall it in your computer.

The paid for MR will give you increment backup, and several other features you don't need to pay if you don't need the features it the very best Imaging and back up program out there bar none.
Tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect

Ask a Question