password problems

Reaction score
prior to upgrading to win 10 I was able to log in to my desktop pc and my laptop using my Microsoft account details , after upgrading I was still able to for a while , one day I tried to log in to my desktop pc and got wrong username or password message , but I am still able to log in on my laptop using these details , after several attempts and no success , I changed the password but the result was the same , I can also log in to my Microsoft account online ( on my laptop ) I have been in touch with Microsoft help but they say its windows problem , haven't been able to get into my desktop pc for the past three weeks , I have thought of removing the desktop pc from the account , but am unsure if that would help me get in to the pc or cause me further problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Based on what you have said with reference to your account on the second computer and your live account on line, it would seem that it is not a problem associated with your username and password, so.......
Do you have a second user account on the computer?
Double check the spelling of the user name and make sure it is exact.
Use the "eye" icon in the password box and confirm that your password is being entered exactly as you expect.
Make sure that you are not on the PIN screen (sign in options)
Do you see an option adjacent to the username and password field referencing something like "not me" or "I'm not"?

We seem to be seeing quite a few of this exact problem or at least very similar problems and I can only guess that there is something unique about this particular computer (your user name and password works everywhere else). Something got installed or updated that has changed something fundamental (keyboard behavior, some language pack changes or possibly regional settings or somehow your local cached credentials have become corrupt.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input , I am the only user and no other accounts , the pc in question is my prime use device , the laptop was added but I have been able to log into both without any problem even after upgrading to win 10 then I suddenly was unable to log in on the prime use pc. I will go through all your suggestions , and let you know the result

Ask a Question