SOLVED PC troubles

Reaction score
So i just upgraded to windows 10 again ( after i knew i had a 32bit os and 64bit processer ). I upgraded from an iso bootable pen drive, then cleaned it. The next time i opened my pc a wierd sound came * it was like my pc starting and closing 7 or 6 times so fast about 2, 3 times* then it said " Reboot and select a proper boot device " i tried everything plz help me . I cant even use it .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds a bit like perhaps you have a hard disk problem which may require a repair or replacement.
So i just upgraded to windows 10 again ( after i knew i had a 32bit os and 64bit processer )
Not sure what that means, but....
You can not upgrade from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit install. You have to perform a custom clean install.

Additionally you may find that some settings in the BIOS needs attention
IF you have a UEFI, GPT, Secure Boot, install (on the disk) it will not boot with Legacy BIOS settings.
Conversely a Legacy BIOS install (on the disk), will not boot if the drive is configure as MBR and startup is looking for the Windows Boot Manager on a GPT partition table, with UEFI configure to support Secure Boot.

Sort of like removing a drive from an old legacy system configure with MBR
AND
Installing it into a newer UEFI system configured as such and expecting it to boot....

It won't, it'll just complain about needing a proper boot device.

Reaction score
I have come across this. I was in the position where I could do a clean boot. BUT I found I had to delete all the partitions on the main disc and let Windows partition it as if it was a new disk

Reaction score
It sounds a bit like perhaps you have a hard disk problem which may require a repair or replacement.

Not sure what that means, but....
You can not upgrade from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit install. You have to perform a custom clean install.

Additionally you may find that some settings in the BIOS needs attention
IF you have a UEFI, GPT, Secure Boot, install (on the disk) it will not boot with Legacy BIOS settings.
Conversely a Legacy BIOS install (on the disk), will not boot if the drive is configure as MBR and startup is looking for the Windows Boot Manager on a GPT partition table, with UEFI configure to support Secure Boot.

Sort of like removing a drive from an old legacy system configure with MBR
AND
Installing it into a newer UEFI system configured as such and expecting it to boot....

It won't, it'll just complain about needing a proper boot device.
I did & i think do too. The sound is coming from the hard disk.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for helping me fix my pc ( I just started my pc and its good as new :-D, dont know what was wrong )

Reaction score
The only time I have ever seen the message about a proper boot device. Was when the HDD was failing. If the machine was simply rebooting I would also mention a PSU. But it is unlikely to be the PSU if the system is not reading your HDD properly.

I'd look into both HDD and PSU for fault. But it definitely sounds like the HDD.

Reaction score
If you have any data on the drive. I would be backing it up while I could. Then I would be looking into replacing it.

Reaction score
I'd say C if it is crashing your PC. Any other drive and it will only slow your machine down as it tries to read and wright. When it happens to C drive your system files will crash and make the machine turn off.

Ask a Question