SOLVED Power outage setting

Reaction score
I live in an area where power outages take place 2 - 3 times a week.
Some time ago I discovered an obscure Windows 10 setting with a warning something like "applying this setting may lead to problems with hardware or software if you have power outages". I googled this at the time and found very little information, mostly posts from people like me that were annoyed that this setting was a default setting.
Anyway I eventually decided to do a Windows reset (great idea, we had another power cut a few hours after I had finished) and of course I can't find the path to this setting any more.
I will buy a UPS unit but can someone point me to this setting, which I assure you, DOES EXIST!

Thanks

Reaction score
Do you not have a recent system Image that you can restore to? It would help you in these situations
I'm don't fully understand your question.
You do mention system reset:
To Reset your PC click on Settings > Update and Security > Recovery. When you enter the Recovery mode you will see the option "Reset"

Reaction score
Do you not have a recent system Image that you can restore to? It would help you in these situations
I'm don't fully understand your question.
You do mention system reset:
To Reset your PC click on Settings > Update and Security > Recovery. When you enter the Recovery mode you will see the option "Reset"

Oh dear. As mentioned, I just DID a Windows reset.
I am looking for the path to a particular setting, as mentioned above. It is fairly obscure and googling it brought up very few results.

Reaction score
I still don't know what setting your looking for your being very obscure.
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
I had the impression that "applying this setting may lead to problems with hardware or software if you have power outages". was a clue. I'm not sure if that's a absolutely correct quote from memory.
I know that it is obscure, I only came upon it by chance and since I reset Windows I imagine that that setting has been changed,

Reaction score
OK Now I think I know what settings you are looking for. That is, what course of action your computer takes after an AC power failure? I have just been checking my Dell Optiplex. It requires that you enter the bios mode (F12-F8) on start up. When you have entered the bios, look for a heading "Power Management AC Recovery" You will most likely see three power options, OFF, ON, Last computer status. By default my PC is selected "OFF" I can see were selecting "ON or "Last computer status" may lead to problems with hardware or software if you have power outages. It's a risk If your willing to change the default setting, but, if the PC is in a remote location gathering data it may be worth the risk and have the PC turn ON and continue gathering the remote data.

Reaction score
Thanks for being patient with me.
I didn't remember that this was in the BIOS mode, it was some time ago.
We have a good internet connection for some reason even though we do live way out in a remote area, so I guess I will be selecting "OFF", it was by default set to "ON" when I found it. Googling it showed that few people had picked up on it and many were annoyed that this was the case. We have frequent power cuts, ranging from one second two a few hours. Since changing this setting I no longer have to do an Internet reset after power cuts.

Ask a Question