Profile Linked to other Device -> profile get defunct

Reaction score
Hello,

my SSD is only 128 GB. Not enough to work with a lot of files.

Like on Windows 7 before, I tried to "move" my main user profile from my small SSD to my larger HDD.

so I did this way:

- Under another profile doing this......
- copy this special profile to the HDD - here I use FastCopy with ACL option, which cioy all file permissions.
- create with junction or mklink from C:\Users\Base (SSD) to D:\Users\Base (HDD)
- and now login again with the base profile

This has never been a problem with Windows 7 (and also with previous versions).

But since Windows 10 (probably also 8) the start menu of the taskbar stuck.

In Process Explorer or Task Manager you can see that a backgroundTaskHost.exe is permanently restarting.

And the CPU load increases dramatically. After a while the system also reports that such work is not possible and I have to log off again.

Other applications I started with some tricks here and they worked fine.

I'm sure I am not the only person on this planet who use a SSD and a HDD in one computer.

And I'm also sure, there are a lot of users who prefer to safe profile-Data to a bigger and more writable HDD.
(surfing with firefox, make a lot of filewrite and so on, and some Video und Pictures Folders increase a lot of the years (to much for most small SSDs))

a little bit more details how I did it:

FastCopy (Source: https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en) benutzt um das Profile komplett zu Clonen (ACL aktiv um auch die Berechtigung 1:1 zu übernehmen)

after creating profile and switch back to a admin/setup-profile to copy with FastCopy the new Profile

cmd...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation.

C:\>cd Users

C:\Users>ren Base Base.org

C:\Users>junction Base D:\Users\Base

Junction v1.07 - Creates and lists directory links
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Created: C:\Users\Base
Targetted at: D:\Users\Base

Ask a Question