Public Build Releases

Reaction score
Why the **** are we not forcing Microsoft in making these build releases opt-in. I'm just a little peon, I can't do it alone. This shit is driving me crazy. What the hell do we have to do to gain control of our own machines again? I'm about ready to go postal on Microsoft. If only I had the funds and the tools to do so.

My son just decided he wanted to manually update through Windows Update. Now his machine is automatically downloading 1809. I have the download and was waiting for Microsoft to state that 1809 was ready for mainstream. I have yet to read this news so have been reluctant in installing the download I have already saved to disk.

I am severely pissed off at how Microsoft is treating us with these damned updates.

Reaction score
https://www.techspot.com/news/77846-microsoft-admits-non-insiders-beta-testing-windows-updates.html

Manually updating makes you a beta tester. It's stupid of Microsoft to do this.

I'm no expert at this but I have learned a lot and sorta enjoy what I am experiencing right now. I have come from 1703 to current with no problems at all. My second machine updated yesterday or the the day before. Both are now Version 1809, OS Build 17763.194.

As for stupid, I don't think I'll go there right now. I've had too much experience in the business world to do that without an awful lot of inside information that I don't have.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good luck with whatever you chose.
My point is it is impossible for IT to control the process. When machines are automatically updating before the word of maturity is published. And lately even public releases have not been mature.

Here I am waiting on maturity before manually updating. And now through windows update some machines are automatically updating.

It all makes me want to send Microsoft my ISP bill for the extra bandwidth they are needlessly consuming.

Reaction score
As much as I don't like Apple and know next to nothing about, that is becoming a tempting offer. Do Apple users at least have the option when they want to do a major update?

Bif

Reaction score
I share your frustration, I've been fortunate up to this point without major disasters but that will eventually run out I'm sure.And as far as the forced updates, this will never change as far as I can see... I look at it as a necessary evil..kinda like taxes.
When my aged HP buys the farm I am moving to a Mac for various reasons, first of which I control when to update and what to update and also the multi media side of Apple will lend itself better to what I do. Right now it's like trying to paint a house with a Qtip.

Reaction score
And as far as the forced updates, this will never change as far as I can see... I look at it as a necessary evil..kinda like taxes.
I understand the need in updating. I despise the lack in care of which the updates are carried out.

Reaction score
I suggest dial in some days to inhibit feature and quality updates (W10 Pro only).
This allows time for the “dust to settle”.
I’ve set feature updates to 40 days and quality updates to 20 days.
What do you think?

Ask a Question