After I connected to a public wifi, I can't connect to private!

Reaction score
I have a HP laptop that is running Windows 10 and have been using it with no problems until I traveled with it to a Hotel and used it on a public WiFi. When I got home, it wouldn't connect to my network. It shows it in list but as soon as I enter my security code, it will disable the adapter and then enable it. It does the same thing at work. I was at first able to get it to connect as a public/Limited connection, but in trying the different fixes, it now just won't connect. I have gone as far as doing a complete reset on my laptop and it still won't connect. here is the gremlin in the system, It will connect to a new WiFi connection that I have never connected to before the trip. I can tether it to my smartphone, and several other WiFi connections, but all are listed as public and are limited connections! Before I did the reset of the computer, The diagnostics would keep referring to the name of the hotel connection like it just wants to connect to it. I am at a loss!!! The system is a Windows 7 Home Prem, Upgraded to Win !0 via the windows update. I will give more info if needed, Keep in mind, that the other laptop that we took with us is working fine, and all nearly 30 other items on my network at home and the 100 plus at work are connected and working. It was only the one Laptop that did this. Also, it will connect via the LAN, but I can't use it that way all the time. I need it to be portable for work.

Reaction score
I had this same issue the whole time I was running Win 10 bro. I ultimately went back to Win 7. This issue date back to the July release date and still hasn't been resolved. It seems like it only with some users though. I fixed it by deleting the network adapter driver and installing the driver prior to windows 10 which for me was the adapter driver for Win 7.

Reaction score
I had this same issue the whole time I was running Win 10 bro. I ultimately went back to Win 7. This issue date back to the July release date and still hasn't been resolved. It seems like it only with some users though. I fixed it by deleting the network adapter driver and installing the driver prior to windows 10 which for me was the adapter driver for Win 7.
Thank you for your response...However, it caused a compatibility issue with Win10, and would not load the drivers for the wireless adapter. I am starting to lean toward it being a hardware issue. it connects until I try to send data at which point it shuts the adapter down and disconnects the secure connection. I had an old Netgear Dual Band receiver laying around and plugged it in to the USB port and it works. The Ralink RT3290 is just not working.

Reaction score
Right on. I was having issues with my adapter compatibility issues as well and did the same as you did with an external one and didn't have any issues with it and started to think it was my adapter until I did a little research on my adapter driver. It turned out that they made some changes to the driver for windows 10 and some features were changed or taken away which caused my issues. I am using a BCM4352 which they disabled hosted network capabilities on it with windows 10. I would start by comparing the old driver with the windows 10 version and see what they changed. That could very well be something that causing your issue along with a whole lotta other people with this very same issue.

Ask a Question