Fresh Install With 2 Drives Connected

Reaction score
I want to install Windows 10 on a drive that is not my main, C drive. The C is an M.2 drive that is a pain to disconnect. Is it ok to still install W10 on the second drive with the M.2 connected?

Reaction score
I wouldn't. Disconnecting all other drives prevents the setup from installing the System Reserved Partition on the other drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Agreed.
Unless perhaps there is some way within the system BIOS to temporarily disable the M.2 drive until after the installation.
That might work.
Although afterwards you may have to manually set the boot drive accordingly in the BIOS boot order.

Reaction score
Some systems do have an ability to disable an M.2 slot by enabling something else. If you have documentation showing what will not work if the M.2 slot is being used, that might help.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I want to install Windows 10 on a drive that is not my main, C drive. The C is an M.2 drive that is a pain to disconnect. Is it ok to still install W10 on the second drive with the M.2 connected?
Question: What is the form factor of the 2nd drive?

Ask a Question