Help: IMPOSSIBLE to install a fresh Windows 10 !!!...

Reaction score
This is not my first request for help, but I am still not able to update, nor to install a full fresh Windows 10 version on my old Acer Travelmate 6592 !
Actually I am running Win10 Pro 10240 x64 Fr and that is the only version accepted for installation; I tried at least 10 different Win10 creation iso versions but none was able, nor to update nor to launch a fresh install from DVD or USB stick...
All update trials seemed to work and went through all the installation steps but got stuck (computer freezes) on final reboot and fresh installation trials ALL freezes my PC on the windows flag with spinning wheel !!!
What can be the problem ? Ofcourse my PC has a MBR bios (without UEFI); could it be possible that therefore it only accept RTM versions, as is 10240 ???
I need help PLEASE !
Thanks a lot

Win10 Pro 10240 Acer..JPG

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you originally upgrade from a previous OS like Windows 7, 8 or 8.1?

If you did, and still have a factory recovery partition, use that to return to original OS, then download Windows 10 iso and install again. Microsoft servers will recognize your computer so it will automatically be enabled with no loss of license.

Reaction score
Did you originally upgrade from a previous OS like Windows 7, 8 or 8.1?

If you did, and still have a factory recovery partition, use that to return to original OS, then download Windows 10 iso and install again. Microsoft servers will recognize your computer so it will automatically be enabled with no loss of license.

This laptop was bought several years ago running Windows Vista and I am afraid Microsoft doen NOT upgrade that OS...?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no it doesn't. You'd need to install Windows 7 at the minimum.

So what precisely is happening at the moment. I assume you are able to download a Windows 10 ISO, but what happens next when you try to use it to install Windows 10 ? How far does it go before it stops doing that?

Reaction score
ALL attemps perfectly go through the complete installation steps including 100% installing... than reboots... and I see the Windows boot launch, the spinning wheel turns 3 times then locks and... that's it !
I have to do a hardware stop to get out and to restart the actual Windows 10 which show me a BSOD .... BOOT ERROR, with code 0xc1900101-0x20017...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you able to provide some specs on your computer please.
  • Brand (e.g. Dell, HP etc)
  • Model (e.g. HP p56a)
  • Hardware (e.g. intel or amd components and what components you have)
  • Ram (e.g. how much ram)
  • Are any external devices attached like a external hard drive, or bluetooth device etc
  • plus, can you let me know what OS is currently installed, and what version of Windows 10 ISO you are using
I realize you have posted an image already, but if you can just confirm precisely what is there at the moment that would help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
For what its worth give your image mentioned an Intel Processor, its probable that your ISO file contains an update for the CPU which has been known to trigger the error message you are receiving and the issues around it.

That can be overcome by removing the update file from the ISO before running its setup.

However, it may not be the only thing contributing to your troubles.

If you'd like to try installing the ISO after the file I'm alluding to is removed, let me know and I'll provide some more clear instructions on how to do this. It's relatively straight forward to do this, but does take a few steps.

Reaction score
The internal disk is a SSHD Seagate of 1To with 3 partitions; the c: partition got 200Go and I am ready to reformat it, if necessary, in order to install a new Win10 Creators version...

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK in that case its very possible its a built in Intel CPU update that is giving you the grief, so its certainly worth seeing if removing that from the ISO gets things happening.

As you've already tried to install your upgrade you may all ready have the resource files for the ISO expanded into their own folders, but I'll assume you have not and show you what to do (if it is already expanding you can pick up a few steps into what I am about to give you.)
  • Right-click on the Windows ISO you downloaded and select Mount
img1.png

• This will open the ISO in File Explorer. Open the sources directory.
img2.png

• With the sources directory open, scroll down and right-click on boot.wim and select Copy
img3.png

• Now in left pane of File Explorer select Desktop then in top toolbar on the Home tab click Paste
img4.png

• Now in left pane of File Explorer locate and right-click on the Virtual mounted drive which opened when you mounted the ISO, and select Eject
img5.png

• Close your File Explorer and go to your Desktop
  • Right-click on Desktop and select New > Folder
  • Name the new folder Mounted
  • Press your Windows key + S key together to give focus to the Search field
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:%userprofile%\Desktop\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted

Press Enter key to execute

What you will see after a few seconds

img6.png

• When you see the operation completed successfully minimize the console to your taskbar for now.
  • Return to your Desktop and open the Mounted folder you created
  • Inside the Mounted folder you will see a few folders and files. Open the Windows folder, then open the System32 folder
img7.png

• Now locate this file: mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and right-click on it and select Properties
img8.png

• In the window that opens select the Security tab then click the Advanced button
img9.png

• Now in the next window click Change
img10.png

• In the empty field of next window type Administrators then click Check name
  • That will see your username (which has Administrative privileges) appear in the field.
  • Assuming that goes correctly, click OK
img11.png

• Click OK on the previous window now showing you as Owner.
  • You'll now be back at the Properties window again. Make sure Security tab is select then:
    • In the top pane click on the Administrators/Your User Name you just changed owner to so as to highlight it then click the Edit button
    • That takes you to another screen where again in top pane click to highlight your Administrators\Your user name then check the Full control box under the Allow column which will automatically check the other allow options.
    • Now click Apply button then the OK button
img12.png

• Finally, back on the Properties window again, click OK to close it.
  • Now back in File Explorer window right-click on mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and select Delete
  • If prompted click confirm to delete it
  • Close all instances of File Explorer windows that were open
  • Now click the Administrator: Command Prompt icon on your Taskbar to bring it back to focus.
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted /commit

Press Enter key to execute

This will saved the edits you made to the boot.wim file on your Desktop, and at the same time the files and folders inside your Mounted folder will be removed leaving the Mounted folder empty.
  • After roughly 1 minute you will see the operation completed successfully.
img13.png

• At this point you unfortunately will also need to apply all of the previous steps to the boot.wim /index:2 and also to install.wim /index:1 in your case as you are using Professional edition (Home users would need to apply these steps to install.wim /index:2).

The command for boot.wim /index:2 would be as follows:

Code:
    dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:%userprofile%\Desktop\boot.wim /index:2 /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted

The command for install.wim /index:1 would be as follows:
    Code:
    dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:%userprofile%\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted

Don't forget too that you'll need to copy the install.wim after mounting the ISO and going to resources\install.wim then paste the copy to your Desktop, just as you did with boot.wim
Note!!!: If your original ISO when mounted has install.esd rather than install.wim you will need to first export an install.wim file from the install.esd file by doing the following:
  1. Right-click the ISO and select Mount
  2. This will open into File Explorer. Open the resources folder inside it.
  3. Locate and right-click on install.esd and select copy the paste the copy to your Desktop
  4. Press Windows key + S key together to give focus to the search field
  5. In the search field type command
  6. In the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  7. When prompted by the User Account Control click yes
  8. In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following commands:
Code:
cd %userprofile%\Desktop

Press
Enter key

Next
, type or copy & paste:

Code:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

Press Enter key

Note SourceIndex:1 ought to contain Windows 10 Professional given your last reply and image you posted, but if you want to double check then you can use this command to review content of all Indexes of install.esd

Code:
dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile install.esd

This is assuming you are at %userprofile%\Desktop prompt (e.g. C:\Users\<username>\Desktop>). If you are instead still at C:\Windows\System32> prompt, you'd need to include the path in command so it can see the file)

Once you have created the install.wim you can safely delete the install.esd file. Do not delete the install.wim file though!

When you have finished editing boot.wim /index:1, boot.wim /index:2, and install.wim /index:1, and unmounted each edited file, you will be left with an empty Mounted folder on your Desktop, and both the boot.wim and the install.wim files also on your Desktop. Do not delete these two files or the Mounted folder!
  • Next return to the original ISO file and right-click and select Mount
  • When it opens into File Explorer, select all the files and folders and right-click and select copy
  • Now go to Desktop and open the Mounted folder then paste the copied files and folders there.
  • Now in left pane of File explorer, right-click on the Virtual Mounted drive and select Eject
  • Close file explorer
  • Open your Mounted folder, then open the sources folder
  • Locate the boot.wim and install.esd or install.wim files and right-click and select Delete
  • Now go to Desktop and select both boot.wim and install.wim and then right-click and select copy
  • Return to your Mounted folder\sources and paste those two copied files into the sources folder
  • Close the Mounted folder
Now when you next open the Mounted folder you can run the Setup.exe file there to install Windows 10 Professional.

If you wish, you can now safely delete the original ISO file too, as its now copied to your Mounted folder with the newly edited boot.wim and install.wim files.​

Note though
, given you all ready attempted but failed to install it with the ISO, you may need to right-click on Start and select Device Manager then double-check the drivers for your CPU Processor were not partially upgraded to this known troublesome driver. (i.e. you may need to roll it back or install an older driver before trying to install Windows 10 from your now edited ISO file.)

If all goes well and you manage to get Windows 10 Professional upgraded, then it would be wise to pop over to your computer manufacturers website to check for an cpu driver update before running a Windows Update.

And when you've checked that and updated if necessary then create a System Image backup so you do not have to go through all this again given we have a major update due out late September or Early October.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I followed step by step your instructions but as I do not want to make a mistake PLEASE tell me which 'mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll' I must delete on following step:

delete.JPG

... the one from the desptop Mount folder or the one from my new update-iso ???

SORRY for the question, but I am a newbee, and all what I can do is try to apply your instructions...

Regedit32

Reaction score
the one from the desptop Mount folder or the one from my new update-iso ???

Not a problem, better to ask that do the wrong one.

Open the Mounted folder that you created on your Desktop, then click Windows folder inside it, then click System32 folder and then locate and right-click on the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file. This is the file you had to change ownership and permission on, so you could delete it.

Once its deleted, and you have repeated all the steps for boot.wim index2, and install.esd index1, when you finally dismount via the Administrator command prompt, the original ISO will now no longer have these update files in it, meaning all going well you'll be able to use that original iso to install Windows 10 Professional, as its quite probable its these update files that were triggering that error you got.

Reaction score
In the 'sources' directory of my virtual drive there is only a boot.wim and an install.esd.... and NO boot.wim index2 nor install.esd index1...
what do you mean with those ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is correct. You will find boot.wim (Boot Windows Image in compressed format) and install.esd (the installation file in compressed format.)

Inside both of these files are index 1, index 2, index 3 and index 4 - each of which is a particular edition of Windows 10 (Professional, Home, Single Language and one other version [ memory fails me at the moment ].

The Windows image file contains a Recovery Environment in one of the indexes as well as Professional, Home etc.

This is why you need to do all those steps for boot.wim index 1 and index2, and for install.esd index 1

You access those by using the dism mount commands I gave you within the Administrator: Command Prompt

These commands mount the file into the Mount folder you created on your Desktop.

Once its mounted you can then open the Mount folder > Windows > System32 to get access to the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file, which you first take ownership of, then give yourself full control, then you can delete the file.

So in total you will delete the DLL file 3 times, once from the boot.wim index 1, once from the boot.wim index 2, and once from the install.esd index 1.

When you've deleted it from each of those locations, you can then finally dismount via the Administrator: Command Prompt, and when you dismount, your original ISO file is saved with that DLL file now removed, allowing you then to use that original ISO to install Windows 10 Professional [ and hopefully avoid the error you have been getting ].

Reaction score
OK, I succeeded with boot.wim index1 and boot.wim index2 but had an issue with install.esd index1 !!!
several cmd trials all return me error 87...??? so I send you dism.log regarding this instruction; I hope you will understand what went wrong with the instruction...

cmd.JPG

dism log.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
The log mentions an invalid file extension.

So two points:
  1. The install.esd file may actually be install.wim [ Take a look at its extension ]
  2. Make sure that install file is copied and pasted to your Desktop before you execute the command

If the file is install.wim then you'll need to adjust the command to be:

Code:
dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:%userprofile%\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted

Reaction score
I checked :

install.esd.JPG

... as you can see the file is still install.esd ; also the desktop copy is OK but I am still unable to make the dism command work...?

Reaction score
I am a little bit diappointed !!...
I downloaded a fresh Win10 with MediaCreationTool and tried to apply the different dism commands, but got exactly the same issue !!!
Both boot.wim went OK but no more luck with the install.esd ... same error problem

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you 100% certain you downloaded a matching ISO?

It needs to be the same language as what is installed now, the same edition, i.e. Professional, and of course the same Architecture too, which in your case ought to be 64-bit

By the way did you download Creator ISO or something else?

Ask a Question