Help: IMPOSSIBLE to install a fresh Windows 10 !!!...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that is more than enough.

It's probably one of those random error messages that is used to cover many bases, and as a result, is not always relevant. There was another message regarding a utility being accessed in PE environment which is not supposed to be the case, but again that error makes no sense.

Hopefully, Saltgrass can spot something I've missed in the log - it is kind of long.

One thing though is that the log in this case may not even reflect the error because the timing of the error around the near completion pretty much rules out it getting logged at all unfortunately.

It's like you have the perfect storm of a troublesome bug.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Something that might be simple enough to try would be to remove your network card then attempt an install.

That would make it impossible for the installation process to communicate with WSUS and may help prevent the online server interfering with the install, which might prevent whatever is triggering this issue.

If that worked you'd be able to put the network card in again once installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That setuperr log appears does warn about insufficient space
It's possible that the space issue may have nothing to do with C:\ and may be an issue with a system partition (Recovery, EFI, System Reserved, etc.)
We've seen upgrades halted by the inability of the installation to resize the system partition before and often there is no obvious explanation.
Perhaps a snip of your disk management console might at least provide some further info (expand the "Status" column to the right to reveal detail

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks, I think you can safely ignore my post above. I was expecting that perhaps you had a 100 meg system partition.
I'm pretty sure that the 450 meg that you have is standard and should not inhibit the upgrade.

Reaction score
The Setupact.log seems to indicate a normal install up to that point, which is prior to the first reboot. I do see a couple of things, such as Windows Default App packages are missing, so is the Store operating normally on the system?

There are some drivers which the log says are not part of an OS. This is probably normal unless one of them is causing boot problems when you boot into the SAFE OS.
wfpcapture.sys
UcmCx.sys
gpuenergydrv.sys <- if this is part of an OEM utility be careful since they may cause problems.

These are services..
XblGameSave.dll
XboxNetApiSvc.dll
EnterpriseAppMgmtSvc.dll
PrintConfig.dll
cdpsvc.dll
RDXService.dll
sdrsvc.dll
embeddedmodesvc.dll
LicenseManagerSvc.dll

My belief is, if you use a new hard drive and install to it, you will know if the problems lies on your system or your prior install. How to proceed if the new drive were to be successful, would of course be up to you

From what I can tell, it looks like you have about 23 GBs of extra space on the current drive. Needed: 114.0 GB and Available" 137.6 GB. I don't know the specifics as to how they calculate the part needed so you may enough..

Reaction score
Thank you @Saltgrass for your help !

I looked into my devices and did NOT see any problem; you can check yourself:

Périphériques.JPG

... and I do not know at all what (how) to do with all those .sys and .dll items you found causing problems, but in my simple mind there is one fact which I find to be very strange:

the pc I am writing you with is running Win10 Pro 10240 on a new SSHD of 1To for 2 years now and it continue to do all regular incoming windows updates:

Updates history.JPG

... except 'creators' !...

In the meantime I downloaded several different Windows 10 versions but trying to setup a fresh Windows 10 (including a format of disk c:) NONE of them could boot into the setup (neither from bootable dvd nor bootable USB stick) !.... The only version who does boot this pc into setup is the 'old' 10240 (which seems to be a real RTM)!!!!.... How is that possible ?

If you can give me some instructions on how to proceed I will (ofcourse) try to check (and perhaps repair) the mentioned 'problem'-files...

Reaction score
Hi all,

Second day without reaction ... I fear that my case is settled, and that is what I was afraid of launching this tread !

So my choice is either to stay with this pc of another generation, or to convince myself to acquire a machine of this time.

Before closing I have to thank you all, @Saltgrass, @Trouble and certainly @ Regedit32 for your kindness and all your highly appreciated efforts to try to help me... for several days!

All that remains now for me is to distribute a package of "Like's" ... and to wish you a lot of success with your excellent forum.

THANK YOU, thank you very much for everything !

Reaction score
Kind of sad to read how yvessr failed in August 2017 when the problem was already known and in discussion since April 2017.
Here is the thread concerning the root cause in the Microsoft Forums:

Here is a short summary: Basically Microsoft broke the PCMCIA/PC-Card driver in Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update, the first one) for many machines in the Core 2 Duo generation and never cared to fix the problem afterwards. So these Laptops have huge problems with newer Windows versions. For most machines Windows installs fine but many devices do not work (as seen in device manager). Can be solved by disabling PCMCIA.SYS (be deleting, maybe by disabling the service), then suddenly the devices work again. For the Travelmate 6592 which Ivessr has it's probably like the Travelmate 6292 which I have (they are the 15" and the 12" from the same series) and things are more serious: You can't even install newer Windows 10 versions because the pcmcia driver completely breaks everything. Perhaps one solution would be after the first reboot which the installation does to boot a linux rescue cd, mount C:\ and remove pcmcia.sys from the filesystem. Installation might then be able to finish?

For my Travelmate 6292 I removed the PCMCIA controller chip from the board, see the last page in the Microsoft Thread linked to above.

PS: Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I really feel this thread should include the solution, not just the despair from Ivessr. Other people with a Travelmate 6592 will probably find it with google.

Reaction score
After nearly 2 years I'd wonder if the Original Poster is still around and/or has replaced the computer.

As a sidenote, I'm doing quite well with a Dell Vostro 1510 Notebook not having drivers in Win10 for its built-in Express Card function and not having the cards for it anyway.

Reaction score
Thanks, but the original poster really does not matter at all. What matters is that a solution can be found if you Google Acer Travelmate 6592 Windows 10 Problems, that you will find a discussion that actually shows you the solution or at least the root cause. This is a reasonably widespread problem, but it’s hard to find proper information about what really is happening here.

Ask a Question