Help: IMPOSSIBLE to install a fresh Windows 10 !!!...

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you enter the following command in the Administrator: Command Prompt

Code:
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:%userprofile%\Desktop\install.esd /index:1

Press Enter key to execute

What result do you get?

Example of what you ought to see if you take a peek inside index:1

Untitled.png

Note:
Some details may differ as this is a Creator ISO I'm peeking into.

Reaction score
I would completely wipe the hard drive (after creating a Windows USB stick/dvd disk) and start from step one, boot the PC with the USB/DVD and basically let it install automatically, you do not need to enter the product key if your system has already been activated!.

Do you have your data backed up?, if so then continue with the above method, if you don't, wait for other advice from @Regedit32!. ;);)

See also:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)

Reaction score
Hi @Wolfie,

Thanks for the advice, but... as I wrote in my first message, I already tried several times to start my PC from a USB stick and also from a dvd made with the MediaCreation option with a fresh Win10 but NEVER succeeded !!!... The pc won't boot into the Win10 setup...???
All the times I got exactly the same issue: the windows flag appears with the spinning wheel but after a few seconds spinning stops and the computer hangs... and I have to unlock it with a hard-stop ...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm, I took another look at an older ESD file I have lying around and it appears mounting them is not quite so straight forward because it is even more compressed than a Windows image file WIM.

What may help then would be to export a windows image from your install.esd to create an install.wim file

In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following commands:

Code:
cd %userprofile%\Desktop

Press Enter key

Next
, type or copy & paste:

Code:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

Press Enter key

Note SourceIndex1 ought to contain Windows 10 Professional given your last reply and image you posted, but if you want to double check then you can use this command to review content of all Indexes of install.esd

Code:
dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile install.esd

This is assuming you are at %userprofile%\Desktop prompt (e.g. C:\Users\<username>\Desktop>). If you are instead still at C:\Windows\System32> prompt, you'd need to include the path in command so it can see the file)

Once you have created the install.wim then see whether you can now do the previous mentioned steps to remove the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Reaction score
Hi @Regedit32,

It took awhile (very large file) but, I am happy, ALL operations succeeded !
esd-file transformes into wim-file, mounting , deleting and final unmounting... everything is OK now.

... but before launching a try to update, I have a (maybe stupid) question:
The converted files, boot.wim and install.wim, are now on my desktop, but I suppose I wil have to reincorporate them into the Windows.iso file on my E: disk prior...?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi, --- woo hoo :) - Glad you got there.

Sorry about my original misdirection re the ESD file. I did not realize things had changed there.

The other command you used re:
  • dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:%userprofile%\Desktop\Mounted /commit
  • Noting you would have had to do this three times:
    • once for the boot.wim /index:1
    • once for the boot.wim /index:2
    • once for the install.wim /index:1
That command unmounts those files and automatically saves your changes to the ISO file for you.

You can now safely delete the boot.wim and install.wim from your Desktop and also delete the Mounted folder you created too, as these files and that folder will be consuming several gigabytes of storage space, that you will be wanting for when you are ready to attempt installing Windows 10 upgrade using the ISO file

Once you have deleted the two files you copied to your desktop (actually 3 files if you still have the install.esd file there too), and you also delete the Mounted folder you made on the Desktop you can then right-click on the ISO file and select Mount then when it opens in File Explorer click the setup.exe to begin the process of installing it.

Or if you prefer you can burn the ISO to a DVD to create a bootable DVD to install Windows 10, or create a Bootable USB Thumb drive. Whatever you feel you are most comfortable doing is fine there.

One final note: When you come to delete the Mounted folder you made on Desktop, you might need to first right-click the folder and select Properties > Security tab and take ownership and grant yourself full control (the same method you used to take ownership of the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file), because by default this folder will be packed full of files all owned by the TrustedInstaller or SYSTEM, both of which normally have higher permission privileges than a User belonging to the Administrative Group.

Also, because that Mounted folder will be in excess of 13 GB, it may be wiser to open it and delete individual folders inside it before deleting the Mounted folder, to ensure the Recycle bin does not throw a fit of panic :)

Reaction score
OK, but before deleting.................when I mount again to check the content of the actual e:\windows.iso there is no install.wim file inside and when I recopy the boot.wim desktop and mount it, the deleted mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll is still inside...??? sorry !

Regedit32

Reaction score
Give me a minute, I'll double-check my test ISO to verify the changes are sticking.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Uggggh!!!! Yet another change to how things used to work.

I'll re-write the original instructions after this post, but this is now what you need to do to get the intended result.

• Follow the previous instructions to copy & paste the boot.wim and install.wim files to desktop
  • Edit the boot.wim /index:1 and boot.wim /index:2 and install.wim /index:1 as previously explained
  • After you have deleted the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file though, do not delete the boot.wim or install.wim files on your Desktop!
  • Unmount the Mounted folder as you did before for each edit, but do not delete the actual Mounted folder itself! That is what empties the Mounted folder of its contents, and saves your changes to the boot.wim and install.wim on your Desktop
  • After you've made these changes to all three indexes as previously mentioned and done the final unmount of the Mount folder on your Desktop, this is where the change takes place!!!!!
  • Now right-click on the original ISO and select Mount
  • When it opens select ALL files and folders and then right-click and select Copy
  • Now open the Mounted folder on your Desktop (which ought to be empty at the moment) and paste the copied contents of the original ISO into the Mounted folder
  • Now in left pane of File explorer, right-click on the Virtual Mounted drive and select Eject
  • Now return to your Mounted folder on the desktop and open the sources folder.
  • Locate and delete the boot.wim and install.esd / install.wim files here
  • Now copy the edited boot.wim and install.wim from your Desktop and PASTE them into the Mounted\sources folder
  • Close file explorer
Now when you open the Mounted folder you can use the setup.exe there to install windows 10 as this folder will contain your edited boot.wim and install.wim files with the mcupdate_GenuineIntell.dll files removed.

Reaction score
OK, I understand all that but just one other question before launching...
as the Windows Pro iso does contain a install.esd and no install.wim file is it not (better) required to reconvert the desktop install.wim (without the mcupdate_GenuineIntell.dll) back into an install.esd file and than put that file back into the mounted..?

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is a great question, and in all honesty I'm not sure what the correct answer is to that.

The install.esd is simply a more concentrated compressed version of install.wim though, so you should not need to convert it back to an ESD format for it to work.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you want to give it a go then the command would be:

Code:
dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"install.wim" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:"install.esd" /Compress:recovery

This assumed you are in Administrator: Command Prompt and your prompt is C:\Users\<username>\Desktop>, and that the install.wim file is on your Desktop

After converting it to install.esd you'd need to copy that and paste inside Mounted\sources folder.

Note: That will consume resources while being converted, and thus will take a few minutes to complete. When done, you could then safely delete the install.wim file so as not to effectively have two files taking up space.

Reaction score
After you attempt an upgrade, there should be some log files left which may explain, if you can read them, what happened.

The error means there was a boot problem with the SafeOS phase. Many things happen during that phase, if it got past the basic boot.

If you have a folder named $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther look for a file named setupact.log.

There may also be on in Windows\Logs\Mosetup named BlueBox.log.

If you have one of these logs and the entries correspond to a failed upgrade, you can check it and if you want someone else to look at it, and there is no personal info included you might be able to zip it and attach. Sometimes logs can have multiple upgrade attempts, so check it and remove prior dated entries. .Log files can be saved as .txt files.

You should realize, not all systems will work with Win 10 at all or the newer builds possibly because of onboard devices. Disabling whatever you can in the Bios prior to starting an upgrade may help.

I would suggest you get a new drive to test.

Reaction score
If you want to give it a go then the command would be:

Code:
dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"install.wim" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:"install.esd" /Compress:recovery

This assumed you are in Administrator: Command Prompt and your prompt is C:\Users\<username>\Desktop>, and that the install.wim file is on your Desktop

After converting it to install.esd you'd need to copy that and paste inside Mounted\sources folder.

Note: That will consume resources while being converted, and thus will take a few minutes to complete. When done, you could then safely delete the install.wim file so as not to effectively have two files taking up space.

Hi,
I am very, very sad !... NO positive result for me.
I followed your instruction by letter but unfortunately ...
- First I reconverted the install.wim from desktop into install.esd (took only a few seconds !!!)
- Then I replaced boot.wim and install.esd from desktop into the mounted folder on desktop and launced setup.exe... started and installed the win10 upon 100%... reboot and... locked on spinning wheel !
- then deleted the install.esd from mounted iso on desktop and replaced it with the install.wim from desktop. Launch setup.exe... went through all install screens up to 100% installation, reboot and... same issue... locked !!!

locked spinning.JPG

- after unlocking the pc and rebooting into the Win10 10240 I see this BSDE....:

esd error.JPG

The only thing I can still do is to put the iso on a dvd or USB stick and try to launch from boot ... but really I am not very hopefull anymore ... Anyway I will try it and I will come back with the result....

Last edited:
Reaction score
After you attempt an upgrade, there should be some log files left which may explain, if you can read them, what happened.

The error means there was a boot problem with the SafeOS phase. Many things happen during that phase, if it got past the basic boot.

If you have a folder named $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther look for a file named setupact.log.

There may also be on in Windows\Logs\Mosetup named BlueBox.log.

If you have one of these logs and the entries correspond to a failed upgrade, you can check it and if you want someone else to look at it, and there is no personal info included you might be able to zip it and attach. Sometimes logs can have multiple upgrade attempts, so check it and remove prior dated entries. .Log files can be saved as .txt files.

You should realize, not all systems will work with Win 10 at all or the newer builds possibly because of onboard devices. Disabling whatever you can in the Bios prior to starting an upgrade may help.

I would suggest you get a new drive to test.

Hello @Saltglass,

Thank you for you suggestion !
YES, I found both files but I am afraid that I am NOT able to check those to see what's going wrong !
I have zipped them and you see them in attachment....
Perhaps some of you can help ???
THANKS !!!

Attachments

• Bluebox+Setupact.zip
    635.5 KB · Views: 336
Reaction score
hi all,

As I was afraid the test from a dvd did not work !... even no boot into starting screen, and no possibility to access the clean install option ....
I am afraid I will have to stay forever with the 10240 version, or ...???

Regedit32

Reaction score
That's a real pity. Sorry after all your hard efforts stripping the iso of a known issue for Intel cpus, you are still faced with the problem.

That setuperr log appears does warn about insufficient space; saying X amount was declared but that it came up just a little over 65,000 bytes short.

Any chance you can increase the size? Perhaps by uninstalling additional third party applications, or moving personal files to storage on a dvd, external drive, or some other partition?

Reaction score
I don't see where this error comes from ; check yourself hereunder my c: disk actually still has 128 Go FREE !!!...

HD.JPG

Ask a Question