SOLVED Fresh Installation Frozen

Reaction score
Hi - apologies if this question is a common one - can't find an answer yet.

My oldish AMD-based desktop has been running Win10 for ages quite happily until I started to encounter startup problems. Sometimes Windows would boot, sometimes not and when chksdk couldn't repair the disk I decided it was time for a new one.It's duly installed, I've downloaded and burned an ISO image of the Media Creation Tool, and run the installation. It's now stuck with the message "Getting Devices Ready 57%" and the circle has stopped spinning.
Any suggestions about what next?

Reaction score
Unplug all external USB devices with the exception of the mouse if it's wired. Turn off the PC, restart and try another clean install.

Reaction score
Thanks - tried that - several times: same problem. I've tried to use the repair console as well with no luck. I'm guessing it's a driver problem but how to install drivers when the operating system hasn't installed properly?

Reaction score
When you try to install does it always get stuck with the message "Getting Devices Ready 57%" and the circle has stops spinning.
What media creation tool did you download, is it the same version that you were running?
If it was the recent Creators Update, maybe your PC is incompatible.

Reaction score
Yes- always seems to stop at the same point. And the circle stops spinning. I used the Media Creation Tool from the MSOFT website - I assume it was the most recent version. My PC was running the latest version of Win10 as far as I know: it was regularly receiving and installing Winodws update. I don't think the PC is incompatible: but maybe the drivers don't come with the installation sofware. I can probably retrieve the motherboard drivers but how to install them when the PC won't boot into Windows?

Reaction score
What was the original OS on your computer? You may have to reinstall the original OS the upgrade to 10 again to get the drivers needed to run your computer?

Reaction score
OK- RESOLVED
Solved by removing the graphics and sound cards, disabling onboard sound and ethernet in BIOS. Thanks so much for the input.

Ask a Question