Windows 10 Fresh Start

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new HP i5-8250U with 4gb RAM.

When running my browser, I've tried Edge and Chrome, it uses so much CPU and RAM and the fan is really working and loud and all I have is one tab open.

I'm not the most computer savvy but have read about doing a Fresh Start which will remove all the bloatware that is pre-installed. However I am worried after I do this I will be missing drivers and some things that may be essential.

Any recommendations on what I could do?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
If the Bloatware includes MacAfee or Norton you could deinstall which ever it has and run Defender instead which is a lot lighter on CPU resources. Note that MacAfee requires a download from their site to de-install.

Perhaps take a look at the startup tab in Task manager to see what you have running that you have no use for.

Some of the pretty things in the start menu like, Groove, Candy Crush , Weather and so on you might want to delete.

In my opinion, 4GB of memory works for Windows 10 64 bit but the machine performance would be improved by another 4GB. FWIW my old PC tends to run with 5GB out of 16GB in use all the time with just Chrome and Thunderbird running.

Others will be along with recommendations I'm sure.

Reaction score
I would recommend you follow @Tim Locke suggestion. I wouldn't perform a fresh start/clean install as you mention you could loose some OEM drivers.
Personally, I would download Revo Uninstaller (free) and delete the bloatware using Revo it does an excellent job of cleaning up tracks and files they leave all over the the PC, many of the unnecessary apps are easily uninstalled by a right click and uninstall.

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new HP i5-8250U with 4gb RAM.

When running my browser, I've tried Edge and Chrome, it uses so much CPU and RAM and the fan is really working and loud and all I have is one tab open.

I'm not the most computer savvy but have read about doing a Fresh Start which will remove all the bloatware that is pre-installed. However I am worried after I do this I will be missing drivers and some things that may be essential.

Any recommendations on what I could do?

Thanks in advance

First, increase your RAM to 8GB (if possible) as that could be your main problem here, Windows 10 works much better with 8Gb+ of RAM then 4Gb of RAM. See also your 'Virtual memory' and if its not controlled by your system and its not set to a particular low memory setting. Your CPU the 'Intel Core i5-8250U' (1.6 GHz to 3.4 GHz turbo,L3 Cache 6MB) should not be the problem as its a new CPU and it should handle everything that Edge and/or Chrome. can dish out or you could have a bug in your memory and other software that are conflicting with your system. if all this does not work (which I'm sure that it will) then I would do a 'Recovery' and do a 'Reset this PC' or either take your PC back to a previous restore point or do a 'Reset', this will remove all the bloatware that is pre-installed and it won't have any affect on your drivers as Windows 10 does install the latest drivers on your PC automatically and to the latest drivers.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm not the most computer savvy but have read about doing a Fresh Start which will remove all the bloatware that is pre-installe
NO....depending on what you refer to as fresh install. If you use the built in OS install under the recovery setting, you have 2 options (keep your personal files or wipe everything), this will still install all the bloatware that the OEM came with.

A clean install; is where you use the windows 10 ISO.....boot from that, manually format the HDD and then install the OS. This will not install the bloatware. Yew...you will need to reinstall all drivers for your computer. Windows 10 should do that for you. Although it will only install the drivers for the hardware installed, not any software packages. Those you would still need to download.

Reaction score
NO....depending on what you refer to as fresh install. If you use the built in OS install under the recovery setting, you have 2 options (keep your personal files or wipe everything), this will still install all the bloatware that the OEM came with.

A clean install; is where you use the windows 10 ISO.....boot from that, manually format the HDD and then install the OS. This will not install the bloatware. Yew...you will need to reinstall all drivers for your computer. Windows 10 should do that for you. Although it will only install the drivers for the hardware installed, not any software packages. Those you would still need to download.

Yes 'bassfisher6522' I agree with you a 'clean install' would be his best option. I didn't want to recommend that as I thought that he wanted to keep his files.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yes 'bassfisher6522' I agree with you a 'clean install' would be his best option. I didn't want to recommend that as I thought that he wanted to keep his files.
I wasn't recommending a clean install...just stating the difference between the 3 options.

Ask a Question