SOLVED Purevpn.exe auto closes since KB3140741 update

Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster, but after almost 4 months of endless hours trying to fix this issue,
for the first time I am actually seeking assistance; because seriously, I am prepared to get the sledgehammer out!

So ever since KB3140741 came out, whenever I try to run PureVPN.exe, the icon shows up in the system tray; then automatically disappears.

I spent 18 continuous hours last weekend trying all matter of things to fix this without success. I figured other programs using windowsbase.ni.dll may be the cause, I uninstalled Visual Studio, also removed all .NET updates with no success.

Have scanned with Adwcleaner, HitmanPro, rkill, ZHPcleaner, Kaspersky, nothing found of any concern.

I have re-downloaded the PureVPN software for old and new versions well over 40 times in all my testing, including old and new versions, reviewed all regedit logs and absolutely no success.

Tonight I ran an elevated command prompt and run Powershell with command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

No success, basically I have tried every known possible solution even in safe mode, with absolute zero success.

I need help (please) ! I just cannot give up; all this just to run a single application! - Tonight I figured it must be KB3140741 that has caused this issue, as many users have had issues since it updated, and the issue only occurred after it updated.

Thanks to anyone whom can be of assistance : )

Output event viewer error logs attached as per notepad file : )

Attachments

• Mechalic_Output.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 796

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mechalic,

I am curious whether in your efforts thus far you've done the basic cmd's:
  • netsh winsock reset
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

That last one is designed to reset the TCP/IP Stack

Given that KB update dealt with Stacks there may be something there worth looking at.

The reason though I am curious, in particular with that last command, is because of one of the errors appearing in your attached log:
    • Event Name: CLR20r3
    • From a programming life I've seen that particular error pop up a few times and 9 out of 10 times it means there is a null point in a data file the application is calling on. This would be worth your time exploring probably. Those kinds of errors are not handled well and may explain the effective crash of the application.

I've not personally used PureVPN myself but took a look at the source site and notice they point out a conflict with running PureVPN on an old OS then upgrading to a newer OS and recommend you first use their uninstaller to remove all traces of VPN then after a full shutdown, and eventual reboot, download the latest version and install it after using that list of commands above.

Keep in mind each Build update is in effect a new OS albeit minor changes only. Perhaps this is just one of those applications that needs to be removed, then re-installed each time you receive a Build update such as the recent one a week or two ago.

Have you considered removing the KB3140741 update, rebooting and testing whether PureVPN functions normally? That may be worth doing to either rule out or in a connection between this update and your issue.

The other interesting thing in that log is it is pointing to a TEMP folder for an XML file. That seems a little odd to me.
  • C:\Users\matth_000\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD2BF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Any chance you have security or other third party software that is clearing this temp folder making the XML unavailable when called on?

Also, what does the ReportArchive file say?
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_purevpn.exe_8b4feec810178c4c57558c16d52d7f73923b5_be6e0172_1620d937

It would be helpful to see that.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mechalic,

I am curious whether in your efforts thus far you've done the basic cmd's:
  • netsh winsock reset
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

That last one is designed to reset the TCP/IP Stack

Given that KB update dealt with Stacks there may be something there worth looking at.

The reason though I am curious, in particular with that last command, is because of one of the errors appearing in your attached log:
    • Event Name: CLR20r3
    • From a programming life I've seen that particular error pop up a few times and 9 out of 10 times it means there is a null point in a data file the application is calling on. This would be worth your time exploring probably. Those kinds of errors are not handled well and may explain the effective crash of the application.

I've not personally used PureVPN myself but took a look at the source site and notice they point out a conflict with running PureVPN on an old OS then upgrading to a newer OS and recommend you first use their uninstaller to remove all traces of VPN then after a full shutdown, and eventual reboot, download the latest version and install it after using that list of commands above.

Keep in mind each Build update is in effect a new OS albeit minor changes only. Perhaps this is just one of those applications that needs to be removed, then re-installed each time you receive a Build update such as the recent one a week or two ago.

Have you considered removing the KB3140741 update, rebooting and testing whether PureVPN functions normally? That may be worth doing to either rule out or in a connection between this update and your issue.

The other interesting thing in that log is it is pointing to a TEMP folder for an XML file. That seems a little odd to me.
  • C:\Users\matth_000\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD2BF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Any chance you have security or other third party software that is clearing this temp folder making the XML unavailable when called on?

Also, what does the ReportArchive file say?
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_purevpn.exe_8b4feec810178c4c57558c16d52d7f73923b5_be6e0172_1620d937

It would be helpful to see that.

Regards,

Regedit32

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I tried everything you mentioned without success.

So today I just chose to reset Windows 10 and keep all my files....DRUM ROLL....It actually works now!

Omg I wish I just did this from the start instead of wasting accumulative days on this!

Thanks for your help!

Mechalic

Ask a Question