Quarter of a Century

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows 95 celebrates its' 25th Birthday this week (August 24th).
Just in case you weren't already feeling pretty old

Reaction score
A week after retiring was offered a part-time job in a computer store, within a month was building MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.xx computers, late '94.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
my first version of windows was 3.1 the flashing cursive line had to enter WIN to get too the application windows. Then like the old window shutter it creaked its way open using part of my 64 megabyte of memory.

Reaction score
my first version of windows was 3.1 the flashing cursive line had to enter WIN to get too the application windows. Then like the old window shutter it creaked its way open using part of my 64 megabyte of memory.
I got smart/er and used HDM, Hard Disk Menu, could get to a lot of DOS-based programs including Win3.1/3.11/WfW.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I was and still am a self taught idiot. I read a lot of books , MS dos , Windows for dummies. I had taken a assoc in 1971 coarse in programming and operation's. That in 1994 revisited when the company I worked for was going automated.

Reaction score
I remember what a nightmare 95 was, it took 2000 to get a decent OS Again
My first was an Adam back in the mid 80's CPM no storage

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
how about windows ME that was a piece of dog crap I sure believed any thing MS dished out. That is why I was real Leary of Win8 then Win10. But finally that got it right but the long line of up dates and builds make you think they did not, at least 10 is free.

Reaction score
how about windows ME that was a piece of dog crap I sure believed any thing MS dished out. That is why I was real Leary of Win8 then Win10. But finally that got it right but the long line of up dates and builds make you think they did not, at least 10 is free.
Yes that was as well as Vista and 8, I went from 2000 to XP SP3, the 7 SP1

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
how about windows ME that was a piece of dog crap I sure believed any thing MS dished ou
I didn't thinks so.....but then that was my first experience with a PC an operating system. I truly enjoyed using it. Then moved to XP and then all the way to 10.

IMO....8/8.1 was the worst! Although the idea of a cross platform OS was exciting and noble.....it just wasn't the right time.

Reaction score
Only issues I usually saw with ME was on custom or upgraded computers, usually the OEMs worked pretty good. I recall seeing a review that mentioned ME or Millennium Edition was a bit too rushed to 'market' so consumers could have something more like Windows NT 2000 a few months earlier for businesses.

Reaction score
I didn't thinks so.....but then that was my first experience with a PC an operating system. I truly enjoyed using it. Then moved to XP and then all the way to 10.

IMO....8/8.1 was the worst! Although the idea of a cross platform OS was exciting and noble.....it just wasn't the right time.
I thought the 8.1 pretty well cleaned up the issue we all had with 8, Also I found Classic Shell which solved most of the issue i had with 8, 8.1 and 10 I continue to use it. As with ME I install 8 on one computer rolled it back to 7.
And yes I only purchased 1 computer ever since then I have put my own together. Not that it saved me any money I just like have the hardware that I like and upgrade as needed

Reaction score
Used to be one could make out pretty well with a custom build [still have a couple running] but money-wise there's a lot of good machines at decent prices from the OEMs.

Reaction score
Used to be one could make out pretty well with a custom build [still have a couple running] but money-wise there's a lot of good machines at decent prices from the OEMs.
I have to admit that I'm looking at Dell for my next upgrade for my business computer. Looking they all seem lacking basic things like TB USB 3.1 gen 2. I've just about decided I don't need discrete Video cards any longer. Also, it seems Dell is going through another cycle where produce support has been farmed out and many people are having serious issues that they are not helping with. I guess its still luck of the draw if you get a good solid system you don't need tech support and most people do. So I will probably go ahead and built my next upgrades. Part of my problem is participating in all these forums we see all the problems and not the most people that have no issues. LOL

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I thought the 8.1 pretty well cleaned up the issue we all had with 8
I concur. Still, having to go with some 3rd party software to make it do what we wanted to, kind of defeats the purpose. I also used classic shell and Start8 and like Start8 better so I bought it....$5, no biggy.

I've gotten used to the hybridized (a little bit of 7 and 8) version of the start menu in 10. But, I did try the Open shell and Start10 on my windows 10.

Reaction score
I concur. Still, having to go with some 3rd party software to make it do what we wanted to, kind of defeats the purpose. I also used classic shell and Start8 and like Start8 better so I bought it....$5, no biggy.

I've gotten used to the hybridized (a little bit of 7 and 8) version of the start menu in 10. But, I did try the Open shell and Start10 on my windows 10.
Yes, I suppose so but I liked my Windows 7 desktop and Classic Shell gave me that in 8.1 and 10 I still use it on all my units including notebooks well classic shell has now become Open Shell still does all that i wanted it to do. Desktop and got rid of the tiles and start screen, of course, we have other ways of accomplishing everything except the desktop which is about all I expect from Open Shell/Classic Shell

Reaction score
I found a Win8 Pro Product Key and have a stored Win8.1 .iso so having a spare Notebook put in a clean HDD [saved the HDD with Win10], burned the DVD and installed, got 8.1 activated and installed Open Shell, not bad. Of course there were some updates, 139.

Reaction score
Yes, I moved to 10 pretty quickly from 8.1 my wife still has 8.1 she won't let me upgrade her

Ask a Question