Renaming Tiles In Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, is there anyway of renaming tiles on windows 10?
Also is there anyway to change the appearance of the tiles as they only seem to save as a blue tile with the Edge logo and a name that's allocated by the website?

Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer also.

Additionally, I seem to have lost all my Windows 8 tiles that I pinned to the start page as website shortcuts when I installed windows 10. How do I retrieve them or do I have to do each one afresh manually.

Reaction score
Also is there anyway to change the appearance of the tiles as they only seem to save as a blue tile with the Edge logo and a name that's allocated by the website?
Have exactly the same problem.

Reaction score
I'm a pc user. Its easy to move the tiles around with click and drag. You can right click the group names and re-name them.
If you move a tile around you'll see a new group name field highlighted so you can generate your own group names. BUT..........I've not found anyway of changing the tile name in the way you can in Windows 8.1 ( by overwriting the given title when you first pin it ) Have seen on the forums that a few others are having the same problem.

Reaction score
If you right click on a tile and choose "open file location", it will show the shortcut, if you rename it fron file manager it will update the tile

Reaction score
There is no option in the system (MS) tiles "open file location". Only in third party additions.

Reaction score
Hi, I don't have any third party additions.

I just click start, go to one of the tiles I have created, weblink etc, right click and go to open file location, then rename it there
renaming tiles.jpg

Reaction score
OK. I can rename user programs by going to the file location. Now, what about renaming the tiles created by a Microsoft Edge web page through a "Pin to Start" option in Microsoft Edge?

Reaction score
It's tiled links to web pages that are the problem ! As davehc say's there is no way of renaming tiles generated by Edge ( that I can find). Right clicking these tiles does not give the" open file location" option of third party apps. All my tiles to web pages show the Edge icon and take the title from the web page. This is often too long for the available space and becomes truncated into meaningless text.

Reaction score
Hi, I don't have any third party additions.

I just click start, go to one of the tiles I have created, weblink etc, right click and go to open file location, then rename it thereView attachment 714
Did you create the BBC News, BBC Sport, Telegraph etc tiles by pinning from Edge ? If so your Windows10 appears different to mine !!! You said you clicked Start and right clicked a tile to get the "Open File Location " option. I have my pc set to Tablet Mode to get rid of the Desktop screen.

Reaction score
From other forum i found this one.

1. If site opens in EDGE then use the 3 dots at top right and pick open with internet explorer

2. When it opens in explorer then click the settings wheel in top right and pick ADD TO APPS

3. Open the APPS list from the start page

4. You will see the file listed as a new app at top

5. Right click and go to OPEN FILE LOCATION

6. Right click the file and pick rename to rename the app

7.. Go to App List again and you will see the app under its new name

8. Right click the app and pin to start

I added "Links" folder to APPS list where i can easily store and manage added links.

P.S quite insane there is no ability to rename it directly buuuuut its MS after all :p

Reaction score
Mr Machof - Brilliant explanation I am using an ASUS T100 and use it more as a tablet and for those using a touch screen.. Item 2 You have to wait until the page had finished loading including the ads otherwise ADD TO APPS will not work. I am using classic shell so go to START and find the New addition by opening All Programmes Press and hold on the new app to bring up the name change.(all the Right clicks above can be accessed by press and hold with your finger.) Change the name. Go to the main Windows tablet display with all the icons, press the three line on the left to open the Apps Find the App and drag and drop it to the screen or Press hard and select pin to start. I am delighted to say after all out I have meaningful icons instead of the Edge icons. So thanks Mr M

Reaction score
Instead of right-clicking the file name to Rename, right-click the file and select Properties instead. You will have all the time you need to name the file.

Reaction score
A good solution that certainly works. The only downside as I see it, is that the page then open up in IE and not Edge, thus losing some of the nice features offered by the Edge browser. Maybe I am overlooking something. How do we get the tile to, open up in Edge and not IE?

Reaction score
1. Open the site in edge
2. Click the three dots top right
3. Open in IE
4. Open the cog wheel
5. Add site to Apps
6. Go back to the Start Apps menu. Look for recently added pin to start.
The quality is poor but it is better than a bunch of Edge icons with text.
Windows 10 lift your game. This is not professional

Reaction score
A good solution that certainly works. The only downside as I see it, is that the page then open up in IE and not Edge, thus losing some of the nice features offered by the Edge browser. Maybe I am overlooking something. How do we get the tile to, open up in Edge and not IE?
This is correct but Win 10 know about this and fails to take action. Also apps which need video will not work properly. Come on MS fix your mess. Wind 8 worked and now you have stuffed up. Also after up grade horizontal scrolling fails to work. What are you doing you have lost the good features of Win 8 . I was not averse to the favourites bar disappearing too in Win 8. Now we have more clutter. Yes I know how to remove the Win 10 favourites. And every time there is an upgrade I have to go find an old camera driver. Get a life Win 10 and you are no longer giving upgrades for free?

Reaction score
Mr Machof - Brilliant explanation I am using an ASUS T100 and use it more as a tablet and for those using a touch screen.. Item 2 You have to wait until the page had finished loading including the ads otherwise ADD TO APPS will not work. I am using classic shell so go to START and find the New addition by opening All Programmes Press and hold on the new app to bring up the name change.(all the Right clicks above can be accessed by press and hold with your finger.) Change the name. Go to the main Windows tablet display with all the icons, press the three line on the left to open the Apps Find the App and drag and drop it to the screen or Press hard and select pin to start. I am delighted to say after all out I have meaningful icons instead of the Edge icons. So thanks Mr M
Like you I use Asus t100 as an email tablet and a few basics and sometimes as a PC as an infill when travelling. It seems neither ASUS nor MS can get their acts together. I still have to run classic shell and the camera is stuffed after the latest upgrade. There was a heap of real estate to the right on a horizontal scroll in WIn 8 which is no longer there. Horizontal scrolls which worked on web pages with Win 8 no longer work so we have to use the right and left arrows top left. To charge for this mess would be criminal. Apps have no identity unless filtered through IE then the camera video will not work at all. After Win 8 which was a bit revolutionary you have reverted to a bastardised version of Win 7 and lost any of the good features of Win 8. I don't want to be a computer Geek I am over 70 I want a system that works and while I can mostly get around the systems, but when I am told factory reset or "run" and enter half the alphabet I am very wary! I just want a machine that works like XP or Win 7

Ask a Question