Renumbering displays

Reaction score
I'm going to throw you all a softball here (at least I hope it's a softball).

When I'm at my workbench, I have a large stationary display positioned over where my laptop sits, and I run independent desktops on them.

Almost every morning, when I start work, I find that W10 has made the upper display my main desktop, probably because it rebooted after a maintenance update or whatever. I have to go into Display Settings and tell it to make my lower desktop my main desktop. It's not difficult, but it's annoying to have to do this every day.

I suspect this behavior is somehow connected with W10's preference for numbering the upper screen as #1, and the laptop screen as #2. I suspect that if I could persuade Windows to consider the laptop screen #1 on a permanent basis (like it is when I'm on the road, obviously), I wouldn't have to perform this ritual every morning.

Is there any way to make this happen?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Im not sure why I use 2 displays 1- 48" and 2 is 27" i use settings--> system-->displays-->advanced -->detect and then move them to the position I want...save then reboot. I have never had to change there position. I always turn off the #2 first then shutdown. then #1 is #1 and #2 is always when i restart.

Reaction score
You may have missed the point. I don't have to change their relative position, and the top one is always #1 (for now). But the main desktop constantly migrates from #2, where I want it, to #1, without me asking it to.

Reaction score
I understand - and mine does not do. that... try detect and the manual move them to the position you want... detect will show the # on the respective display.

Reaction score
I joggled their relative positions a bit just to see if it stops the problem, though I doubt it will have any affect.

Oddly, a phantom screen I have never seen before has begun showing on the Settings pane. I can just make out the words "Display not," but it's too small to show the rest. If I choose it, Multiple Displays says "no display detected," which makes me wonder why W10 chooses to show it at all. Under Advanced Display Settings, only two displays are listed.

I suspect this is an unrelated problem, magically appearing at this time just to FUD the analysis of the original problem.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I drag as needed and have no issues... hope this cleans your issue...

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question