SOLVED Replacement for ExplorerPlus 6.2 by Novatix

Reaction score
Hi:
I've been using ExplorerPlus (free) in Windows XP (32 bit) & love it. However, it doesn't work properly in Windows 10 (64-bit). Symantic bought out Novatix & discontinued it.

I need something that has 2 panes, a dropdown arrow to search my most commonly used folders, & have the ability to sync folders.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for Windows Explorer or ExplorerPlus?
Thank you in advance!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used a Windows Explorer alternative for a long time, so can't comment on details - but there are two main contenders that may work for you:

Maybe give them both a try and see which works best :).

Reaction score
I've not used a Windows Explorer alternative for a long time, so can't comment on details - but there are two main contenders that may work for you:

Maybe give them both a try and see which works best :).
Thank you for your advice. I will try these.

Reaction score
I have both the paid-for Total Commander and FreeCommander [on different machines], have 2 panes and may be close to what you want. I got mine at http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/file_managers_41d9.html and saw many more. There is one called Q-Dir that has 4 panes.
Thank you for your information. I have heard of Total Commander, but forgot about it. I will give it a try. I really appreciate all the advice that I get on this forum!

Reaction score
Check out PowerDesk Pro from Avanquest. The history is that the original developer of PowerDesk Pro up to version 5 started Novatix and put out ExplorerPlus 6.0, and later Symantec bought and closed Novatix. At various times PDP was owned/sold by OnTrack, vCom, and then Avanquest. It's now sold by Avanquest but still written by vCom.

When Win 10 came out, PDP 9 was not compatible and vCom planned to drop it. I pointed out that versions 5, 6 and 7 do still run, so they fixed the incompatibility and now 9 runs on Win 10. (Vers. 5 & 6 don't "phone home", 7 does. The 7 installer crashes but does do a full install that works after rebooting.)

www.Avanquest.com

Reaction score
Two-year-old post. But I also used to have PDP but gave it up on Win10, mostly use Total Commander on my main computer and some free ones on Notebooks, such as Free Commander and MultiCommander. Symantec did show a propensity for buying companies then closing them such as Norton Commander.

Ask a Question