SOLVED Right-click has stopped working

Reaction score
I recently had to open Disk Management and tried to do this using right-click on the Windows symbol and selecting that option. Nothing happened.

I found another way to do it, but have now noticed that other right-click issues are happening, eg I recently tried to run several programs as Admin by right-clicking but nothing happens.

I am the only user and I'm setup as an Administrator, so this should not be happening.

Tried to run sfc.exe /scannow in a CMD window to check for integrity violations but it refuses and tells me I need to be an Admnistrator.

So, I tried to open a CMD window as Administrator by right-clicking the Command Prompt and clicking Run as Administrator option - nothing happens.

So I'm now going round in a vicious Win10 circle. WTF?

Nothing major has happened to my PC except Win10 upgrades so I suspect that's the culprit, but does anyone know what I can do about this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Check Device manager to ensure the driver has no (Yellow exclamation warning. It appears that your mouse is the problem. You don't say if you have attempted to use another mouse.

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned I tried 3 mice - made no difference - and Device Manager shows no yellow screamers, and everything appears fine there...

Reaction score
Found a solution:

The issue was incompatible shell extensions and I followed this link:
Winkey + X menu shortcuts not working in Win 8.1 (http://forums.hexus.net/software/296885-winkey-x-menu-shortcuts-not-working-win-8-1-a.html)
(Ignore the fact it's about Win 8.1)

I didn't much fancy the laborious task of using ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) to test each extention and re-boot EVERY time, so I read the whole thread and found that the same suspect progs cropped up a few times:
- AirDroid (which I had already uninstalled some months ago, but it gave me no issues)
- NCH Zip Express - which I had recently installed (along with all the other crap it adds...)

Hunted down all the NCH progs and uninstalled them and my right-click is now working perfectly! - didn't even have to re-boot.

Ask a Question