Screen Saver Settings Not Active

Reaction score
I've been through almost all of the posts on this forum regarding screen savers, and I can't find a situation like mine.

I have upgraded three different machines to Windows 10 in the past month, and all three (two desktops and a laptop) have the same problem. I can't open the dialogue window for screen saver settings. When I click the settings link in "personalization", nothing happens. (It's not grayed out, it just doesn't do anything.) I can try to run it from a Cortana search, and nothing happens. I can try to run a CMD line commend, and nothing happens.

This isn't a problem with USB peripherals; I have nothing plugged into the desktops other than a keyboard and mouse. Nothing at all plugged into the laptop. I don't have gaming apps or flight simulators or anything else running. These are very clean systems that were running flawlessly until the Windows 10 upgrade. And the SS problem started immediately after the upgrades.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
There is a thread from this forum started at Aug 6th, this year.
The thread is about screen saver does not work. Not exactly as your issue but somewhat relevant in my opinion.

The answer/workaround is .... go to Device Manager > open Human Interface Devices >
see if you have HID-Compliant white board on the list >
if you do have that item, right click at it > click Disable ( do not click uninstall. just disable.)

See if that can be of any help to your case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) I searched for "screen saver" on Cortana. It gave me a link to "screen saver settings". I clicked that. Nothing happened.

2) The thread from August (like all the other screen saver threads) refers to a screen saver not coming on AFTER it has been set. In other words, those people could access the screen saver settings. I can't.

3) No "white board" in the HID list. I have gone through and disabled the HID devices one at a time. No dice.

4) Remember, this is a problem on three different units. I don't think that it's me, I think that it's a Microsoft problem or bug.

Reaction score
Speculation only.............
Are your 3 computers belonged to Home Group ?
If yes, it might, just might, have something to do with your issue. "Sharing" might be worth investigating.
Bear in mind that I am speculating.

I believe this is the time for me to bow out.
Please wait a bit for someone with a real answer for you.
Good luck.

Reaction score
As far as the laptop goes, the problem existed immediately after the Windows 10 update, before I re-established a network link.

Reaction score
Weird. Most thread concerning screen savers have tons of responses. No one has a clue about why this is happening to me?

Bif

Reaction score
All I can suggest is run SFC/SCANNOW and CHECK DISC...if it's a corrupt file issue that will fix it..if not?

Reaction score
Did that. No file or disc problems. Again, this is three different machines, which had this problem from Minute One after the Windows 10 install. Not going to suddenly have corrupt files on all three units.

Bif

Reaction score
Did that. No file or disc problems. Again, this is three different machines, which had this problem from Minute One after the Windows 10 install. Not going to suddenly have corrupt files on all three units.
Good luck then..

Reaction score
Mark,I know this has been on all your systems so my suggestion is not likely to help. Still, try an alternate way to go to screensaver settings. Right Click the start button and select Control Panel. On the first screen to appear select "Appearance and Personalization" (not the text below). Then on Personalization click "Adjust Screen Resolution" (just the bottom line of text, not Display) . when I do that it brings up the Screen Saver Settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do not have "Appearance and Personalization". I have "Personalization". If I go there, I get themes and nothing else. If I go to "Display", I get a "Screen Resolution" option, but the only other thing on that page is changing type size. Nothing on any of those pages about screen savers.

I don't mean to keep harping on the idea of this being a problem on three different units, but the chances that I could have this problem because there's a corrupt file somewhere AND it's exactly the same on all three are pretty slim.

Reaction score
I do not have "Appearance and Personalization". I have "Personalization".
That is because you went to Control Panel/All Control Panel Options. I said Appearance and Personalization would be found on the first screen you see after selecting Control Panel but you continued on to the full Control Panel. Try again.

Reaction score
I did exactly as you suggest. Same thing, no option for screen saver on the "Screen Resolution" page.

Reaction score
I did exactly as you suggest. Same thing, no option for screen saver on the "Screen Resolution" page.
Not Screen Resolution; That is a hot link. Click on the Title portion (Appearance and Personalization) above screen resolution/change the theme.

Reaction score
I assume you clicked on the text "screen saver". Well at least we tried Your screen saver option panel is MIA. Sorry I was not able to help

Ask a Question