setting up automatic backups

Reaction score
New to W10. Having problem setting up regular periodic backup of personal files.
capture1.PNG
Have external 1TB hard drive which I will use for backups.

Capture 1 is how I (tried to) set it up. I clicked Backup Now or should I have clicked the frequency button, Daily?
How can I schedule less frequently, WEEKLY rather then Daily? The drop-down box does not seem to provide for that choice. Would it be possible to use that backup routine, in a rare case, to take an extra backup not part of the schedule?

Capture 2 shows that the backup routine lists my folders that need be backed up. Did not capture the whole list but includes all the folders for backup.

Capture 3 shows things are not working. I do not understand what it's trying to tell me.

I will be very grateful if someone can explain this mystery to me.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 582
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 552
Reaction score
For your first question, you can set the weekly mode just because Windows 10 do not support this frequency, you can select "Control Panel-System and Security-File History", then close the schedule backup. And when you need to backup, open it.
Secondly, Windows 10 built-in backup just support adding folders, you can choose the folders you want to backup and exclude the files you don want to backup.
Thirdly, your drive may not be recognized by computer, just extract it and plug it again. Or your drive came across some problems, just fix it .
Finally, if you want to backup your files weekly, a free software-AOMEI Backupper can help you realize it in a brief way. And reading “how to automatically backup files to an external hard drive” could help you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question