SOLVED LAN Connection Keeps Changing From Automatically Detect Settings To Proxy Server

Reaction score
This issue happened after I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on my HP computer. We also have another older Dell computer, on which this issue did not occur after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I followed advise from an IT technician provided about this issue with Windows 8.1 including editing the registry (Internet Settings and Default Connection Settings) and have no trouble accessing the internet. However, typically after every day or every other day (at most after three days) turning my computer on after being off overnight, the internet connection settings revert back from automatically detect settings to proxy server. I do not use a proxy server and cannot access the internet when this occurs. This keeps happening even though I go back and reedit the register. What can be done to permanently fix this problem? I am currently using Internet Explorer 11 instead of Edge until Microsoft comes out with their update in early November that allows extensions. I use Norton 360 and cannot use this program with Edge until extensions are allowed, because of security on the internet.

Since this does not happen with the Dell computer, I checked the settings mentioned by the IT Technician and found that the following Internet Settings were not present in the registry: ProxyHttp.1 (or ProxyHttp1_1) and ProxyServer. Will it harm my HP computer if I delete these two from the registry so that the Internet Settings will be the same as those on the Dell computer, which as pointed out above does not have this problem? Also, for ProxyServer the IT technician indicated that there should be no value for this in the registry. Will it have any effect or hurt if a value of 0x00000000 (0) or no value is entered?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest that you scan your computer thoroughly for any malware which might be causing the issue.
These are the programs I use to generally delouse a computer with virus and or malware issues.
ADWcleaner from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/
Norton Power Eraser from here https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
Malwarebytes from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/
Ccleaner from here http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
TFC.exe (Temporary Files Cleaner) from here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
ESET Online Scanner from here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Eset online scanner is a bit different than the others in that you need to either use
IE or download and run their smart installer if you're using another browser. Then tick
the radio button that says "Enable detection of potentiall unwanted application"
Then click the link that says "Advanced settings", then check all the boxes except the
one that mentions "Use custom proxy settings", unless of course you're using a Proxy
Server. Then just click "Start", it will do a thorough system scan so it takes a long
time.
I don't check the links above everyday, so if you have any problem with any one of them then just Google for the program name but use the site names that I have recommended since I'm relatively certain they are free of extraneous garbage.

Reaction score
Trouble, I tried your recommended programs listed in your reply above on Wednesday. I already have Norton Power Eraser as part of Norton 360, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner on my computer. The Power Eraser fixed a registry error. Malwarebytes and ESET Online Scanner found no problems, but JRT, TFC.exe, CCleaner, and ADW each found several problems and removed them. However, using these did not solve the problem of the LAN connection resetting from automatically detect settings to proxy server each time a restart was done or after the computer was shut down for the night and started up again in the morning. This happened even after I went back and edited the registry settings for the following to disable (or 0): Migrate Proxy, Proxy Enable, Proxy Http.1, and Proxy Server (this according to the Windows 8.1 Forum IT should be blank). Even the Default Connection Settings reset to 03 (the first binary of the octet instead of 09). I was still able to get into IE after resetting the registry.

As I indicated in my original posting, for either the next day or for several days I could still access IE before the Proxy Server reset to 127.0.0.1. A large number of replies in the Windows 8.1 Forum also stated that scanning their computer with some of the above programs failed to correct the LAN connection from resetting. One IT reply suggested changing the Proxy Settings in the Local Group Policy Editor, but I cannot find this on my computer and have tried several times to find it. Another IT reply suggested changing the Proxy Settings Per User in the registry Internet Settings, but again the registry does not have this.

As I asked in my original posting, since this does not happen with the Dell computer, I checked the settings mentioned by the IT Technician and found that the following Internet Settings were not present in the registry: ProxyHttp.1 (or ProxyHttp1_1) and ProxyServer, will it harm my HP computer if I delete these two from the registry so that the Internet Settings will be the same as those on the Dell computer and whose LAN Connection setting stays Automatically Detect Settings? If you cannot provide an answer to this, I will wait and see if anyone else can respond. If not, I may take a chance and delete the two above Internet Settings. Thanks for your providing the above even though it did not solve this issue.

Reaction score
It now appears that I have solved this issue. I went into the Settings under the Advanced Tab under Internet Properties and checked to see if anything was checked regarding Proxy. Under the Browsing subsection, I found that the item "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" was checked. After unchecking and restarting my computer I found that the registry Default Connection Settings had been changed and that anything related to Proxy was disabled except Migrate Proxy. In checking the LAN Settings, "Automatically detect settings" has remained checked now with Proxy Server unchecked and this has remained in this manner for awhile. I now have no trouble accessing the internet, which comes up almost immediately, whereas it was very slow before.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great.
Thanks for posting back an updating your thread with your solution. It'll probably prove helpful to others with a similar problem.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question