Should Windows Defender run

Reaction score
I've had Windows Defender turned off because I have my own security program. After getting the Windows Update 1607, I now got a window asking me to allow some Windows Defender file to run at start. I rejected the request but just want to make sure that decision is ok.

Could someone take a look at my screenshot and let me know about this?

Attachments

• windows defender.JPG
    windows defender.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 548
Reaction score
Defender is designed to disable itself when it detects another 3rd party antivirus program to avoid conflicts in real time scanning. Even with Windows Defender turned off it will periodically scan by design. Type Windows Defender in the search box > click on Defender, then click on settings you will see that it's turned OFF. Also you will see that MS informs you that Defender will periodically scan even when turned off. I wouldn't be too worried about the pop-up. The periodic scanning change came with 1607 update.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/new-technologies-features-windows-defender-windows-10

Reaction score
I selected "Reject Change" on that pop up. This evening it came back again and I again selected to reject. Based on your answer I will keep selecting "Reject" and not worry about it, then.

Ask a Question