SOLVED Sleeps all the time

Reaction score
My desktop monitors go to sleep after about a minute of inactivity no matter what I set sleep mode to do. I currently have it on "never" and it still sleeps to the lock screen. Extremely annoying. I talked to some others having the same issue but no one has a clue or has seen the issue discussed. Is there something I need to do to fix this or is a flaw?

Reaction score
Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Reaction score
When I did that I got Error: 0x800f081f. When I looked that up it seemed to always go to Vista. It further said:
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
What that said was well above my pay grade - they also were not discussing Win10 - and the only response was call tech support.
I do not know how to "use the Source option."

Reaction score
This source file cannot be found started win Windows 8 and carried over to most of the early Preview builds. The latest builds apparently had it fixed.
Now it surfaces again.

A source file extension is needed to be included with the dism..... restorehealth command.
Unfortunately, I don't have that method on file.

Sorry.

Reaction score
OK. Try this....................... assuming you are running Windows 10.
1. You need to burn your Windows 10 ISO to a DVD if you have not done so.
2. Insert the DVD into your CD/DVD drive.
3. Let's say your CD/DVD drive is drive D. If it is not, make sure use the letter assigned to it.
4. Open your elevated command prompt and copy and paste this .................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:d:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

> press Enter.

Note : Source:d:
d is the drive your iso is mounted. If the drive letter is not d, use the one you have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Before you do that, have a look at your screen saver settings. Settings - Personalisation - Lock screen, and then, at the bottom,
Screen saver settings.

It is just possible that your screen saver is set with a blank screen, with this proviso:
'
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
It wasn't set to none but to one that apparently doesn't work in Win10. I don't normally do screeen savers so it didn't occur to me. I believe that did it. Thanks!

Ask a Question