Slow Laptop

Reaction score
@Trouble You do realize a fragmented MFT [Master File Table] will result in slow performance on mechanical HDDs and the Defragger included with Windows is unable to correct that, or fragmentation in most of the other aforementioned system level access only locations, because it cannot gain system level access right?

You can analyze the aforementioned areas that require system level access with Contig/Power Defragmenter by utilizing PsExe (another SysInternals program) to launch Contig/Power Defragmenter as System [NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM].

It shouldn't matter whether one's an "every day user" or a power user... the best tool for the job should be used, otherwise one runs the risk of doing a lot of work for nothing, discovering they should have used the best tool for the job to begin with.
  • For example, you clearly believe the "every day user" should simply use the defragger included with Windows, however what happens when they have MFT fragmentation? Not only will the stock defragger not be able to inform the user, the user won't even be aware that's the cause until after significant time is spent researching forums on line. Since I believe no one likes to waste their own time, shouldn't the best tool for the job be used to begin with, thereby negating all of that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Th OP has obviously gone! Three weeks since the post.

Maybe this thread could be closed, if not totally wiped. Some of the contents are not in keeping with the nature of this forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Take advantage of the hardware and install an extra SSD in the M2 slot

I have a Samsung 250GB installed, with the OS in a C: partition, all my programmes in E:
and most critical data on F: all on the SSD
The HDD is basically an archive for less critical data

The machine still boots fast, like it did on the first day

Reaction score
Anyone check amount of system ram currently installed?. I would not use "registry cleaners", Microsoft for yrs has advised against their use. It is not advisable by Bit Defender, Symantec Kaspersky, Microsoft etc to install/run more than 1 anti-virus app on a computer. Apps set to startup at boot can slow down the over all process, I would disable most apps except antivirus from starting up automatically at Booting.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have a HP Probook 450 G2 with Windows 10, only bought within the last 2 years, but it's become quite slow especially on startup. We haven't downloaded lots of programs etc on it, it says the C: disk has 329/450GB free. I also ran CCleaner to clean up files (only perhaps 100-150MB of files were cleaned up anyway, so not a huge amount at all), fixed any registry issues, and looked at startup programs, trying to disable any I thought was unnecessary (though there weren't that many to begin with, I'll attach a screenshot of the programs that are currently enabled on startup).

Also tried running Malware Bytes, which didn't find anything.

Any other ideas of what we can do to speed things up? I know cheaper laptops such as this do slow down over time but it is still fairly new and has been used for work only. It therefore has only been used very lightly, e.g. running Quickbooks for invoices etc, making quotes, sending emails, downloading word docs and scans etc, though as I said these don't take up much space. Can't think of what else we could do to stop it from being so slow!

Thanks if you can help! Let me know if you need any more info.

Hi Sophia I would get rid of AVG and Mcafee. As with Windows 10 you have a perfectly good Security system running there already. I would also download and run Iobits Driver Booster and run it. Unlike most of these types of programs this one updates 99% of drivers in it's free mode, I would then use their (Iobits) uninstaller to get rid of AVG and McCafees resource hogs. Then uninstall the driver booster (you dont need it now it's done it's job but keep the Uninstaller as I find it's way better than the Windows one. Also their Advanced system care I think is way better than C Cleaner even in it's free mode. Anyway just a thought.

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Totally stupid question. HP Probook 450 G2 came with Win 7/8 so must be updated. Since sellers are looking at profit margins they tend to "make do" with minimum requirements. I have seen windows 7/32bit PCs sold with 1 Gig of ram! What is this PC's specs and what is the "real" entry requirements for Windows 10 ?? I buy/fix refurbished PCs and I have lost count of how many times the "appropriate" ram needs to be supplied "after sale"

Reaction score
Minimum may work but more is faster!. Remember CPU uses Ram for data transfer and Ram runs faster than HDD. The less Ram the more Ram / HDD swap cycles are needed to move info around. IE More Ram = More speed. Yes a 4 cylinder engine can move a truck but a V8 will have more power and speed. When I upped my laptop ram from 1 Gig to 4 it boots and loads programs way faster.

Reaction score
PS: last refurbished PC i purchased came with 64 bit Windows 10 but only 1 Gig of ram. It "crawled" till I upped the ram to 4 Gig (Maximum this PC will accept)

Ask a Question