Laptop is too Slow

Reaction score
Randomly, in the middle of the day last Thursday, my laptop just slowed down. I didn't install anything, but it just got ridiculously slow. If you need some information, I got the computer roughly at the end of July last year. I'm obviously running Win10. More info here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RXHMOeO0tC070FzCa3cIk6D

It seems to be memory which is causing the problem, as it's at 70% while I'm only running firefox, but it happens regardless. No matter what, the sound it extremely distorted, and I can't do much. I've tried using Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and ESET online scan. The original Malwarebytes scan detected some PUPs and I've since deleted them, but no visible improvement to be had. AdwCleaner didn't detect anything. The ESET scanner detected 10 problems, but I didn't notice any difference when gone. Any help will be appreciated! :)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks like you have an update that is continuing to try to install and is failing multiple times per-day.... KB4032188
Please check your Windows Update "History" and see if you can confirm that this activity is still taking place
IF IT IS (and only if it is) you may want to try getting the appropriate standalone installer and see if you can get it to install. http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4032188

NOTE: There has been a subsequent cumulative update KB4034674 which supersedes that previous cumulative update which is available here and may also, as an alternative, resolve the issue
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4034674
Do not download the "Delta" update. Get the full package appropriate for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).

Not sure that, that will address the whole issue, but the process involved with the continuing and failing attempts at installing that update can consume a lot of system resources (disk activity, memory, cpu, bandwidth, etc)

Reaction score
It looks like you have an update that is continuing to try to install and is failing multiple times per-day.... KB4032188
Please check your Windows Update "History" and see if you can confirm that this activity is still taking place
IF IT IS (and only if it is) you may want to try getting the appropriate standalone installer and see if you can get it to install. http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4032188

NOTE: There has been a subsequent cumulative update KB4034674 which supersedes that previous cumulative update which is available here and may also, as an alternative, resolve the issue
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4034674
Do not download the "Delta" update. Get the full package appropriate for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).

Not sure that, that will address the whole issue, but the process involved with the continuing and failing attempts at installing that update can consume a lot of system resources (disk activity, memory, cpu, bandwidth, etc)

Great. It seems like it attempted updating 22 times on 8/31, but no activity since then. It still says my computer is up to date, but there was no 'Successful Install' or anything. What do you recommend?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just happened to notice on your Speccy link that it had happened on multiple occasions on 9/1/2017
I would expect your update history to look something like this.... not exactly but something like it

Capture.PNG

Your link showed this
Not Installed
09/01/2017 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188)
Installation Status:
Failed
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete
listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the
associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

09/01/2017 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188)
Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Installation Status:
Failed

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just happened to notice on your Speccy link that it had happened on multiple occasions on 9/1/2017
I would expect your update history to look something like this.... not exactly but something like it

View attachment 7112
I do have something pretty similar, but with "Failed to install" instead. (This continues 22 times, with no other updates)
WXYZ.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
Ok. Booting in clean mode seemed to work at first. I listened to a bit of music, and it seemed fine. All the sudden though, it kicked into slow mode. The audio was glitching and everything was as bad as ever. At first I thought this was a problem with firefox, as it only occurred after I booted it up. Trying again with chrome revealed that it's not just an issue of my browser slowing down my computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... so, you've disabled all startup items as well as all non-Microsoft services, with practically no relief of the underlying problem.
So..... backup all your critical data and if at all possible create a disk image
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

After you are certain that all your critical data is safe
Click the Start Button and type
cmd
The command prompt option should appear at the top of the list, right click that and choose "Run as Administrator"
In the resultant Admin Command Prompt window type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
You'll be informed that the disk is locked and asked if you want to run it on the next reboot.... Respond by typing a Y and hitting enter, then type
exit and reboot the system.

Go enjoy dinner and a movie and don't be surprised if it is still running when you get back
Don't attempt to interrupt it and ignore the progress counter, it will sit at 10% forever. When it is done the system will reboot automatically.

Log on and check the event viewer
Windows Logs
Select the "Application" log
with that selected / highlighted use the "Action" tab on the menu bar to select "Find" and in the text box type chkdsk
You can double click it to open it in another window or simply read it in place.
What you are looking for is any problems reported, especially near the bottom that reports any bits in bad sectors.

You've got a 2Ghz i3 processor with 4 gigs of RAM. It's not a rocketship and it's never going to be a rocketship but trust me, I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop with far inferior specs than that and it runs absolutely fine, so.....
Something else is going on and I suspect that it might be the 500 gig Toshiba hard drive, which I suspect is a 5400 RPM spinner. I've replaced a fair number of those over the years.

IF nothing is found by chkdsk, then all I might suggest is that you manually defrag the drive a few times, with a cold boot in between each.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have enough space on my hard drive to make a back up of my... hard drive. I really don't want to buy a separate drive, but if I have to, I'll find one. (If you know of a relatively cheap one, that would be fantastic)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've owned and used both of these
https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Por...al+usb+hard+drive&refinements=p_85:2470955011
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expa...al+usb+hard+drive&refinements=p_85:2470955011

You might check weekend sales at any of the big box stores you may have in your area.
Just stick with Seagate or Western Digital. It's for data backup so you don't want to save a few bucks on an off brand just to find it toast when you need it.

I don't have enough space on my hard drive to make a back up of my... hard drive. I really don't want to buy a separate drive, but if I have to, I'll find one
You wouldn't typically backup your hard drive or any data it might contain to itself, and.....
You should really have a backup...... ALWAYS.
Unless you don't have anything on the computer that is of any consequence or value to you.

Reaction score
I'm still not really clear on what I'm doing with this. Will it erase my data? Is a back up required, or will it just be there in case something goes wrong? Regardless, these are out of my price range, and it would take a while to ship. I have to use the computer for school. And to answer your question, I don't really require much that's on my laptop right now. The important files I can back up on a spare flash drive or two, and I would just need to reinstall a couple programs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No .... nothing I suggested in my post above https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/laptop-is-too-slow.14786/#post-72317
will erase anything, however it does place some stress on your hard disk and I wouldn't want any suggestion that I make to leave you without critical files
AND
IF it turns out that the disk has some problems, then you're likely looking at replacing that as well.

Reaction score
Been there done that. I had a Laptop that acted similarly. I had a "small" HDD and as it filled up the laptop ran way slower. Some programs need to move a lot of data around. Remember the CPU uses your Ram to manage this data but it also "grabs" HDD space for Ram/HDD info swaps. I uninstalled everything I did not actually need and this helped. As to backups, I purchased an external Blu-Ray burner and a bunch of disks on the internet - hey they were on sale ;~) .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like the OP still has approximately 15% free space left on drive C:\
Partition 1
Partition ID:
Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter:
C:
File System:
NTFS
Volume Serial Number:
9C84CC47
Size:
452 GB
Used Space:
385 GB (85%)
Free Space:
66 GB (15%)

So it's getting pretty full.
Calculating Required Free Space

As noted above, in the section describing the Master File Table, one-eighth of a disk is allocated to the MFT zone. Although this area is marked as free space, it is reserved by Windows 2000 for the exclusive use of the MFT. When defragmenting, the Disk Defragmenter cannot take advantage of this space by moving files into the MFT zone. So when calculating the amount of free space available for defragmentation, you must subtract about 12 percent from the free space reported by Windows Explorer. It is recommended that you maintain about 30 percent of any NTFS-formatted disk as free space to ensure that you have sufficient room for effective defragmentation.
SOURCE: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742585.aspx
It's an old reference an may not be pertinent anymore but certainly worth some consideration.

Running something like Ccleaner portable might help reclaiming some space.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Throw in the native Disk Cleanup Wizard also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No .... nothing I suggested in my post above https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/laptop-is-too-slow.14786/#post-72317
will erase anything, however it does place some stress on your hard disk and I wouldn't want any suggestion that I make to leave you without critical files
AND
IF it turns out that the disk has some problems, then you're likely looking at replacing that as well.
The erasure was just a guess, I just didn't know why you would suggest getting an external hard drive. It wasn't the wrong information, but the lack of information which led me to that conclusion. I just didn't want to blow 50 dollars if I didn't really need to. And, no I don't really have anything too important. I'll just back up pictures and docs and stuff.

Been there done that. I had a Laptop that acted similarly. I had a "small" HDD and as it filled up the laptop ran way slower. Some programs need to move a lot of data around. Remember the CPU uses your Ram to manage this data but it also "grabs" HDD space for Ram/HDD info swaps. I uninstalled everything I did not actually need and this helped. As to backups, I purchased an external Blu-Ray burner and a bunch of disks on the internet - hey they were on sale ;~) .
Ok, I'll clear some stuff up.

Looks like the OP still has approximately 15% free space left on drive C:\
Partition 1
Partition ID:
Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter:
C:
File System:
NTFS
Volume Serial Number:
9C84CC47
Size:
452 GB
Used Space:
385 GB (85%)
Free Space:
66 GB (15%)

So it's getting pretty full.

SOURCE: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742585.aspx
It's an old reference an may not be pertinent anymore but certainly worth some consideration.

Running something like Ccleaner portable might help reclaiming some space.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Throw in the native Disk Cleanup Wizard also.

More 'clear free space' advice. I'll go for it.

While writing this, my computer suddenly started working fine just out of the blue. I played some music, but ~2 minutes into the song, it went back to shit. This is just ridiculous. I'll still try chkdsk if it seems it isn't getting better

Reaction score
Sorry, What "background" crap have you got running ? Remember , background stuff needs Ram/HDD access also. I forget the Internet address but about 6 months ago I inquired about Microsoft startup & auto update apps control. I was amazed to learn how many apps kicked in automatically so I changed them to ASK! and when I said Auto, my I3/Win10/64G/8Gb tower periodically slowed down - Result I changed ASK to individual Yes and went out for coffee

Reaction score
Sorry, What "background" crap have you got running ? Remember , background stuff needs Ram/HDD access also. I forget the Internet address but about 6 months ago I inquired about Microsoft startup & auto update apps control. I was amazed to learn how many apps kicked in automatically so I changed them to ASK! and when I said Auto, my I3/Win10/64G/8Gb tower periodically slowed down - Result I changed ASK to individual Yes and went out for coffee
I don't have anything in the background, I've been clean booting ever since Trouble recommended it a while back

Ask a Question