Laptop is too Slow

Reaction score
Ok, it's just bothering me how uniform this seems. A couple minutes after booting up my computer, it works fine, but all the sudden, it just tanks. The resource graphs on task manager helped a lot. It seems like the CPU and memory usages are artificially limited. The CPU was averaged at about 60%, but is forced down to 20%. I don't remember how much memory was at, but now it's forced to be at 50%. Like seriously, the graph is a straight line. It says I have two "slots" so maybe only one is being used? IDK it just seems too coincidental. I'll reboot again and try to get some before/during/after screenshots.
WXYZ.PNG

Ok, new screenshots!

Before:
WXYZB4.PNG

During:
WXYZD.PNG

After:
WXYZA.PNG

I'll do CHKDSK right before I go to sleep. (~1 hour). If you have any final thoughts on what my problems might be, now is the time :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update: It's done! It seems like ever since my problem started, there have been the same three messages popping up.
1. Information: Launching process "C:\Windows\Prey\\current\bin\node.exe" "lib\agent\cli.js"
2. Warning: Watched process exited with code 1
3. Information: Process exited with code 1
This happened every two seconds like clockwork. I hope it wasn't bad to do so, but I took the liberty of uninstalling Prey. I didn't use it anyway.

Near the top, I kept getting a bunch of errors all to the effect of
"Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\cyberlink\cyberlink media suite\power2go8\Power2GoExpress8.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\cyberlink\cyberlink media suite\power2go8\Microsoft.VC90.MFC.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="I Censored This",type="win32",version= "9.0.21022.8". Definition is Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="I Censored This",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.4148". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

I didn't use the program either so it's gone. No other errors or anything. It still slowed down this time, but maybe it needs a restart. I'll update with my findings
EDIT: No big difference. It could be a little bit faster, but that could be my imagination. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thoughts?
IDK....
Have you ran Ccleaner and the native Disk Cleanup Wizard?
Were you able to reclaim some free space and up that from the 15% that was reported in your Speccy link.

Reaction score
IDK....
Have you ran Ccleaner and the native Disk Cleanup Wizard?
Were you able to reclaim some free space and up that from the 15% that was reported in your Speccy link.
I ran CCleaner and cleaned up a ton of old programs and stuff, doesn't seem much better

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do this next
Click the Start Button and type
cmd
The command prompt option will appear at the top of the list, right click that and choose run as administrator
In the Command Prompt window type
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter
check all the boxes in the resultant window and click ok
Then in the same command prompt window type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter and let it run
two progress windows will launch and then go away, when they do just type
exit
in the command prompt window and hit enter. Reboot the system.

After rebooting give it 30 minutes or an hour to sort itself out and the disk activity to settle down and then run the native Defragment and Optimize Drives
Just click the start button and type defrag and choose it from the top of the list.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So how much free space are you reporting now on your C:\ drive

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's about a third and should be more than adequate free space.
Were you able to defrag the drive?
Did you happen to notice how many passes it performed?

Reaction score
That's about a third and should be more than adequate free space.
Were you able to defrag the drive?
Did you happen to notice how many passes it performed?
I was able to defrag the drive.
There were at least 7 passes, though there might have been more, I didn't pay too close attention
(If it helps, the drive was only at 2% fragmented)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Launch another admin command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it run
Let us know if it reports any issues

Reaction score
It told me "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few things I learned the hard way:
I noticed you have Windows Defender and McAfee web stuff on Firefox. I had an issue with this so I had to get McAfee Removal tool (https://mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool.en.softonic.com/) and re-do Firefox add ons. Oh, and don't get me started on the new/improved Firefox
Same thing with CyberLink as updates leave "old" stuff behind. (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=14589)
Also, you have Remote Access running so there could be someone "borrowing" your resources . I got bit some years ago when I replied to a "Microsoft e-mail" It was a scam and I paid for it - new HDD new Modem & re-install (Thanks Bell Aliant for their help)
Finally, many times laptop #2 slot is under the keyboard + Dell can be very picky about Ram - See a Pro

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any other ideas?
I don't know. Seems like you've spent a fair amount of time and energy on this issue with practically nothing to show for it.

I think, if it was me, I would back up all my critical data and go with a "Fresh Start"
Fresh start. Lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. Fresh start will remove most of your apps from your device. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's startup and shutdown experience, memory usage, Store apps performance, browsing experience, and battery life
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...defender-track-your-device-performance-health

Just prepare in advance, as you're going to have to reinstall your programs so make sure you have the installation media or the download source link and any license / product key that might be required.
I don't think, I'd spend a whole lot more time trying to resolve it and just get on with my life with a computer that behaved as it should.

Reaction score
Yeah, but would that work? If it's a hardware problem, it's a waste of time and a huge hassel

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going for it. All files backed up, restore point created. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hmmm I wish you were close so I could run RAM check (
) etc. Sounds like someone is lying to you as of usage (Hacker? - you tube shows something similar( tried 3 times - none will save - hint hint )
I suspect clean install from DVD will wipe HDD and restore speed , just be careful if one of your old files seems too big.
Worst case Hirems Boot and Nuke + manufactures HDD re-initialize (or new HDD) and clean install
Been there / done that
PS: If I was to steal your RAM cycles I would not show even usage - sounds like a beginner who needs to be shown the error of his ways (hint,hint)

Ask a Question