Slow start after sleep

Reaction score
I am a new boy to this forum so please do not be too dismissive if my problem has been addressed - it probably has but I cannot see where.

I have had Win10 on my Dell for over two years, Win10 was pre-installed when bought. I have to say that it has been a most frustrating period. Clearly, there is much good in Win10. My main problem is the slow start that all too often occurs for no obvious reason. It just sits with wallpaper showing but no icons, task bar etc. I assume that it is updating but really that is a guess. Secondly, there are the inordinately large updates. These can be very expensive when roaming. Just now, I had updates that took several hours to install 5 days ago. I am now sitting here with nothing happening. More updates?

Advice please. How do I know what is happening? How do I know whether to go away and leave it to sort itself ou? Is there any way that I can get use of my computer? As it is, it is most unreliable. I spend much time sailing. I could want to use my laptop for navigation purposes but cannot rely on it. Thank goodness for my iPad! I am posting this from my iPad.

Reaction score
Further to the above, I eventually “crashed” the computer and restarted. A lengthy process. Any advice on how long to leave when starting from sleep mode before doing this? I have to say that I found Win7 far more user friendly.

Reaction score
Further to the above, I eventually “crashed” the computer and restarted. A lengthy process. Any advice on how long to leave when starting from sleep mode before doing this? I have to say that I found Win7 far more user friendly.

A normal Windows 10 OP on an SSD hard drive should only take 5-10 sec max to boot into the 'login screen' otherwise, you have old hardware and/or some crap on your system or both. The Win10 OP shouldn’t take very long to boot into the ‘Desktop’ either, max 15 sec and should NOT like 2-5 min to boot, which is ridiculous with today’s hardware and if all is functioning well.

Firstly what is your Dell laptops specs? As this could have a bit to do with your problems but, from what you have said, its more like a system that hasn’t been maintained and/or been neglected and all sorts of ‘buggy software’ and unnecessary files has been installed on it and its chocking it up.

1. Go to ‘This PC > Boot drive C:\ > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Ok > Delete Files > then do the same and chose ‘Clean up system files’ – this should clean all unnecessary temp and other files taking up unnecessary space
2. Don’t update windows when you are roaming, it’s a very inefficient way to update. Preferably use Wi-Fi of an Ethernet direct connection.
3. Go to ‘Settings’ > Windows Update’ > Advance options > make sure that you don’t have ‘Automatically download updates, even over metered data connections (charges may apply)’ turned on, as this will make Windows Update download over roaming and metered connection.

To use your laptop for navigation purposes so its reliable, I would do a ‘clean install’ and do away with all the system that you have, no matter what you do it won’t make it work reliably as it will take a lot of time and could be a wasted effort. I did this for a friend that also wanted to use his laptop for ‘navigational purposes’ and by doing a ‘clean install’ it worked perfectly afterwards.

To do a ‘clean install’ of Windows 10 do the following:
1. Have you got a bootable USB and/or a DVD for your Windows 10 operating system?
2. If you have, reboot the computer and either press F2 or F12 (whatever it takes to boot into BIOS) then, change boot to either USB or CD drive. So you can ‘Reboot system’ with either a USB or DVD in the drive
3. Then it will start the ‘clean install’ of Windows 10, make sure that you delete and reformat your boot drive and start all over again and then go through all the process of the setup.

If you haven't got a Windows 10 disk then you can download it ‘Free’ from Microsoft then download the 'media creation Tool' at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 then make a bootable USB or a DVD of the appropriate and do a 'clean install' as outlined above. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. I have a Dell Inspiron 15, new in March 2016. I do not know what to look for in the specs.

I think that I had all update options to Off. They are now and I have not changed the advanced options (knowingly, at least) but still got taken unawares with a massive download, several Gb, roaming. That update too 5 hours to install.

I have now done a clean boot as you describe but do not know how to “delete and reformat your boot drive.”

I will see how it goes and come back if necessary. Meanwhile, thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Thank you. I have a Dell Inspiron 15, new in March 2016. I do not know what to look for in the specs.

I think that I had all update options to Off. They are now and I have not changed the advanced options (knowingly, at least) but still got taken unawares with a massive download, several Gb, roaming. That update too 5 hours to install.

I have now done a clean boot as you describe but do not know how to “delete and reformat your boot drive.”

I will see how it goes and come back if necessary. Meanwhile, thanks for your help.

The thing that I mean about the specs are and because the Dell Inspiration 15 has many versions of hardware/software and its been around for years, its been upgraded by Dell for many years just like the Acer Aspire 5750 which I have. You can find out the specs of your system by using CPU-Z (download it at: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) e.g. is it the 'Dell Inspiron 15 7000'? With the 'Intel Core i5-6200U' processor (2.3 GHz to 2.8 GHz turbo with 3MB L3 Cache) with 8GB of RAM and the 256GB SSD and an Intel HD 520 Integrated GPU? Because, SSD HDD's at 6GB/s are much faster than the old spinner HDD's, your RAM is crucial also, the Dell comes with 8GB but can handle 16GB, all this, speeds up your system considerably. its much easier to analyse your hardware/software problem(s) if I know what your hardware consist of, because, it could be hardware related and/or software related or both.

Also, its not a 'clean boot' its a 'clean install' don't mix the two up, as a 'clean install' is what you should be doing! Have you got into the BIOS by pressing F2 or F12 (or whatever is required by your Dell inspiration 15 model) as that is the first step, then and after you are in the BIOS, go to the 'Boot' part (top of screen menu) of your BIOS and see 'Boot priority order' change the '1.' to either 'USB HDD' if you are using a USB stick for the boot/install of Windows 10 or change it to CDROM if you are using a DVD install media for the boot/install of Windows 10. then go to 'Exit' and 'Save all settings' then the computer will 'Reboot' and the Windows 10 install process will start, wait for the install process to finish, its very self explanatory going through the steps of the 'setup'. You can get a good 'clean install' step by step guide from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

That's it, its simple and after you have installed Windows 10 then update it on either Wi-Fi or Ethernet 'Only' as doing it under stream will give you lots of problems and its going to be very slow(unless you have a perfect 5GHz connection) and/or there is nothing wrong with your inbuilt modem which is another thing that could be the problem, the networking of the Dell Inspiration 15 7000 comes standard with 'Data Link Protocol' - Bluetooth 4.2, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n 'Interface (Bus) Type' - M.2 Wireless NIC - Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 which is a 2.4 & 5GB/s speeds but, this could be faulty or your driver might be corrupted. There are allot of variables that contribute to your problem(s) and that is why I would only do it under Wi-Fi or Ethernet, doing updates the way that you are doing it, is problematic even with perfect and uncorrupted software or hardware and its no wonder that you have to wait 5 hours, it should only take 30min at he most (for any major Windows 10 update) with your Dell inspiration 15 which btw is quite a good laptop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your patience. I am probably being obtuse. I have downloaded MediaCreationTool1803.exe . I assumed that I copied that to my USB. Is that correct? I then reboot tapping F12. I get the BIOS display, I select the USB option. I hit enter as instructed but then get a failure message.

What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Ah! I think that my problem may be that I find it difficult to read some of the instructions in pale colours. I have macular degeneration and the colours/size of texts are nigh impossible. I have looked more carefully and taken pictures of the screen using my iPad. Even then, blowing up the image is not easy. There must be many others in similar positions - a fact not recognised by those writing software.

Will let you know if I am successful this next time.

Reaction score
Sorry, Steve, I have to come back. I am now trying to do a clean install. I startd up, tapping F12. I selected USB. There was a big download to the USB. I then tried to install. I get to a screen that gives me two options. Install Windows and keep files etc or Custom. I chose the first but then get a screen that says the upgrade is not available.

Should I have used the Custom option? I will have a large back-up operation if I do.

Attachments

• clean1.JPG
    clean1.JPG
    550.1 KB · Views: 667
  • clean2.JPG
    clean2.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 801
Reaction score
Sorry, Steve, I have to come back. I am now trying to do a clean install. I startd up, tapping F12. I selected USB. There was a big download to the USB. I then tried to install. I get to a screen that gives me two options. Install Windows and keep files etc or Custom. I chose the first but then get a screen that says the upgrade is not available.

Should I have used the Custom option? I will have a large back-up operation if I do.

Sorry that you have 'macular degeneration' that must be very problematic and must restrict you allot, as there are certain instructions that have to be read when doing installations of software especially with Windows OP's. If you have an iPad then take images of the instruction and magnify them so that you can read them, after, use the 'Custom' install only, as that will format your existing boot C:/ drive then it will install Windows 10. The other option 'Upgrade' is not available to you as you can't get into the Windows 10 operating system because that is how 'Upgrade' works plus, that wont solve your problem(s). You need to do a 'clean install' as that is the best option for your problem(s) and the 'Custom' option is the solution. The 'Custom' option will also save a folder called 'Windows Old' Windows 10 does this with every clean install where a previous Windows operating system was installed, so that it keeps some of your old files/software so that you can salvage some (not all) of that data that you can't backup now.

Suggestion, once you have done a 'clean install' of Windows 10 then, don't put any crap software or unnecessary files on your boot drive, to overload it. Either use an additional internal slave drive, that can be installed into the DVD slot or an external USB-HDD for all your backups and even programs. The boot drive should have minimal software and/or well known software that is proven with Windows 10 e.g. Adobe, MS Office or similar and a good anti virus etc on the Windows 10 OP system drive. If you do all that and keep all bloatware off the boot drive then Windows 10 will work well and without troubles, it won't bloat up and it will operate very consistently and/or without problems. This is how I have my system setup and I've never had major problems and/or blue screens etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. I use the iPad to take photos of on-screen instructions but, even then, not all are clear. “Luckily”, I have the dry variety of MD, it just deteriorates slowly. Normal screen text is fine and I can usually expand. It is the small print, in faint colours often on a not too dissimilar background that create problems.

Not wanting to risk losing files etc and being cautious of the Custom clean install, I took the other option. I removed the USB, restarted, put the USB back and hit set up. It tells me that it is installing Windows. It is taking a long time to do so and seems to be going through several iterations.

If I had used the custom install would I have had to be using my back up files, music, photos?

Reaction score
... I have downloaded MediaCreationTool1803.exe . I assumed that I copied that to my USB. Is that correct? I then reboot tapping F12. I get the BIOS display, I select the USB option. I hit enter as instructed but then get a failure message.

What am I doing wrong?
Sorry...but everything is wrong.
MCT is not a bootable file & only allows you to obtain the download.
Download size is 4GB or more.
Instructions are here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html
You'll have to find them.

Upgrade not available may mean the the files are not in the correct form.
Do not do a clean install unless you want to lose all your personal stuff.

Ask a Question