Slow start up and slower shutdown.

Reaction score
:D Hi all.
This no doubt has already been covered somewhere, however, trouble finding any post related to my problem.

System:- OS Windows 10 pro; Hardware:- Dell XPS 420. Ram 8gb. Drives 2.(C+D). Set boot to operate on 4 processors not just 1).
System has slowish startup, main problem is very slow shutdown.
Any solutions gang?

Last edited:
Reaction score
o_O Obviously not.Not to worry, just another nail in W10 coffin as far as I am concerned. Rubbish!!

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie.
Good of you to contact me.
os; Version 1703
OS Build; 15063.483

Reaction score
HI Mothie,

you have the same version as me so I assume you are fully up-to-date there!. :)

Your slow start-up might be caused by what you have starting with the system, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to open the task manager and look at "Startup" to see what you have running at boot time:

Disable (highlight and click on disable) what you don't need but make sure you don't touch your anti virus app:

start up.JPG

As far as your slow shutdown goes, was the system doing any updates at the time of reporting?, this would slow the shutdown process to a crawl if you were!. ;)

Reaction score
Mothie: What browser are you running, also, would you happen to be running AVG or Norton antivirus.

Reaction score
Hi Norton, trust you are well.
Browser: Firefox.
Antivirus: Kapersky 2017 suite

Reaction score
;) I have just been looking and twiddling under the bonnet, so to speak.
On 14/7/2017 I used a program twiddler called windows repair (Tweaking.com) and had a tweaking session, as you do.
Purpose;to sort out some of the mystery problems caused by W10 OS, items that with W7, Vista and good old Windows XP if I had any problems, I clearly knew where to look to solve whatever the problem was.
With W10 that is definately not the case, as current Microsoft policy being "Hide access to everything". Baffle em!

Amongst the tweaks, a large quantity of them, was a tweak that on shutdown and start-up, allowed me to see on screen, what Microsoft was up to. I have gone back into Tweaking.com and recovered the backup from the day I installed the tweaks and recovered the entry setup from that date.

Where as there appears to be a slight improvement on shutdown, it is nothing too substantial to shout home about.
I will keep looking and report back.

Ask a Question