Need help with very slow monitor startup

Reaction score
This is a weird one. I think I caught a virus when I tried to install a video capture program called “OBS”. (Note: Timing might just be a coincidence.) I uninstalled that program, but right after that, my monitor takes 20 minutes or so to start up…and this is with an SSD Drive startup. The monitor even shuts off for half a second at a time during the 20 minutes when the monitor vainly attempts to display the opening screen. I’ve never had a startup problem before, and I’ve tried everything I know to get it back to normal, but no dice. I’m not sure if the problem is even Windows 10 related, but I don’t know where else to turn. Anyone have any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a possibility that your monitor might be going bad?
Do you have the resources to swap it out with another just for testing purposes?

I suppose it's always possible that the software you installed might have installed a hook into your GPU driver.
You might want to try something like Display Driver Uninstaller
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v17.0.9.1.exe

That should remove the current driver and then you can try reinstalling from the manufacturer's website.

Reaction score
This is a weird one. I think I caught a virus when I tried to install a video capture program called “OBS”. (Note: Timing might just be a coincidence.) I uninstalled that program, but right after that, my monitor takes 20 minutes or so to start up…and this is with an SSD Drive startup. The monitor even shuts off for half a second at a time during the 20 minutes when the monitor vainly attempts to display the opening screen. I’ve never had a startup problem before, and I’ve tried everything I know to get it back to normal, but no dice. I’m not sure if the problem is even Windows 10 related, but I don’t know where else to turn. Anyone have any ideas?
Nope, not a virus. The video capture uninstall didn't uninstall everything.
Rollback Windows using Recovery or System Restore. I assume you don't make image backups? Now you know why some of us do. Sometimes the Windows Troubleshooter works.

Reaction score
OBS appears to be open source, and possibly subject to bugs. But, it seems that, on start, by default it goes on the web, according to how it is setup, to open, for example, YouTube files.
I would suggest that there is nothing wrong , except it has made a dirty uninstall.

If it were me, I would do a thorough search for anything relating to "OBS" and remove it.

Ask a Question