SOLVED Somebody hacked my Steam account.

Reaction score
I have been seeing strange messages in several areas on one computer. It appeared to be a profile situation but I noticed I was not able to run some commands in an administrative command prompt because I was told I needed Admin privileges. It was also showing three pictures on my Admin profile in Win 10. I had to sign into a local account and then back into a Microsoft account and verify in order to get my privileges back.

I has also gotten a few messages from Steam asking to verify my account, which they will do occasionally and send to a specific e-mail address.

Well, just now I got one of the "Your password has been successfully changed" type messages and I was not able to log into my account to check. The steam app was still open on the taskbar so I checked the Account page and saw a verification e-mail address ending in .ru. I assume this means Russia but not sure.

Anyway, I have reported it to Steam but still not understanding how the password was changed without my verifying the change. I have gotten no warnings from any anti-virus or Firewall software.

Thanks for reading...

Reaction score
the Russians are very active currently in the hacking section. My wife's Facebook account was hacked and the email was changed to a russian email. Unfortunately, Facebook's verification page is not working so her account cannot be verified. It is dormant now for a few months.
you are right, 'ru' stands for Russia.

Reaction score
I don't know why we can not lock our accounts to specific regions. It is likely I will never live anywhere else in the world. So why would I want to leave the door open, for someone around the world to steal my account. I'm sure I am not alone in this. This would lock the accounts to where they can only be logged in from within the region they are tied to. Maybe even add a vacation feature to where the account is temporarily open to roaming.

Reaction score
I was able to verify my account with Steam through a purchase I made a couple of months ago. So now, just waiting to see what happens.

I am still having a problem with the other computer and my account. I had deleted extra photos which were showing up on the User info but now one has come back. I am wondering if my Microsoft account is involved with this one system and I may do a system reset to be safe. For the time being, I have removed Steam from that system.

Exactly what could be done to stop such activity, I am not knowledgeable enough to suggest any solutions.

Thanks for the replies, I will post back if I find any new info.

Reaction score
Make sure you have two step verification set on your steam account. That way no one can change your password or access you account without having access to your email.

Reaction score
Make sure you have two step verification set on your steam account. That way no one can change your password or access you account without having access to your email.
OK, thanks. If I ever get back into the account, I will check to make sure. I have already done a clean install on the system which seemed to be having profile problems..

Reaction score
I got my account back and Steam said it had been compromised. I already had the two step authentication so not sure how they got access initially. Possibly it involved the other computer which seemed to be having the profile problems...

All well now ..

Reaction score
Glad you got it back. Steam's usually good about that. I would change your email password just in case they gained access to it.

Reaction score
I would change your email password just in case they gained access to it.
This was the first thing I did.

It appears I got the notification that I was changing my password, which I ignored because I had not. Shortly after that message, I got another one stating the password had been changed, so I have to assume the bad folks got the same e-mail I got at the .ru address and they validated the change..

I still do not know how they might have gotten access to my e-mail unless it was from the problem system when I had accessed the site. Unless they spoofed one of the Steam messages about verifying my e-mail address.... I had noticed an increase in such activity about two weeks before I noticed the problem..

Thanks for reminding me about the e-mail..

Ask a Question