Start bar crashes

Reaction score
After my computer has been running for an hour or two, the start bar crashes. For the first hour or so of using the computer it is all fine. After that when I select the windows icon ( Start, ) nothing happens, the menu doesn't pop up. I am not able to access any photos, I can get at the files, and see thumbnails, but click on a photo, all I get is a black box and I am not able to access the little messages icon on the right of the start bar. I can't even set my speaker loudness, it all crashes. I can still use the internet so I can live with the problem, but it has had to become a habit to use Ctrl, Alt, Del to shut my computer down at night.Is there a way to stop the start bar crashing?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good.
I don't believe I've heard of this exact problem with the issue presenting an hour or more after everything has been working fine since starting the computer.
It sounds a bit like something is putting some heavy demands on system resources and not surrendering them properly.
Have you tried clean booting the system, just to see if there is some third party product causing the issue?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Run it for a while in a clean boot state and see if that provides any relief.

IF not I suppose you could go with the old standby, native System File Checker to see if it shows anything wrong.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and see what that produces.

Ask a Question