May 12th update caused taskbar and start key to stop working.

Reaction score
Got an update on May 12th. The next day I boot things up, try and right click on an icon on my taskbar and nothing happens.
I try clicking on start and using the keyboard shortcut, nothing happens. Right click on the desktop works fine until you try and access anything with it (change wallpaper, resolutino ect). Then I get an error message:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Install something or create and association in the default programs control panel"

Rightclicking on the taskbar while not on start/icon pops the options.

I rolled back the update through recovery and to no surprise it was fixed until the update got shoved down my throat again, and, again, to no surprise the problem came back. Now the only restore points are: the first failed update of may 12th (same as I have now, so useless), may 13th the backup before the first restore (so when the update was applied). I'm screwed either way.

I can't access things like settings in any way (any commands or other ways to get there fail).

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Window's keyboard icon and desktop icon don't work also since update, also. I have to right click on desktop icon to be able shut down computer. How to fix this?

Ask a Question