MS may give up on Edge

Reaction score
An article in Arstechnica.com today suggests that MS may give up on Edge and use Chrome's internals instead.

The article suggests that MS may make an announcement in a week or so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Let me be the first to admit.....
I never really got it at all from the beginning.

Why MS would want to give detractors yet another vector of attack by adding a second browser for people to complain about and generally disparage
AND
Then, so entangle it with the OS as to make it all but impossible to remove.
It's almost like they didn't learn anything from the whole IE embroglio

Reaction score
This is the original article, copied by arstechnica
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10

Sorry to hurl disappointment at you, Trouble, but, if the rumour is correct, it looks like it is being modified, or even replaced, by yet anotherbrowser. As if we didn't have enough of them to choose from!!

FWIW. I use Edge as my default. I find it more responsive than others, and certainly not so heavy on resources as the popular Firefox and Chrome.

P.S. A note towards the end of the article for the insiders!

Reaction score
I also use Edge as my default browser, I know they are most likely snooping around with what I do with it but I don't think Google Chrome (or its engine) would be any better!. :):):)

Reaction score
Gotta say I wasn't expecting this, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. Microsoft is so scatter brained these days. They don't know what they want much less what is best for the consumer. Their incompetence seems to only be growing each year. They have spread their resources so thin, they can only be seen as comparable to a shade tree mechanic. The phrase ‘Jack of All Trades, Master of None’ rings loud and clear.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to hurl disappointment at you, Trouble, but
Don't be sorry..... I'm a Microsoft user..... I'm used to disappointment.
Hell.... I still own a Windows 10 Phone.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't see this one coming - especially after how much they've been pushing this! It doesn't look good having a browser that only lasted a few years, if this is indeed true :eek:.

T_J

Reaction score
My default browser is Edge. Occasionally use Chrome v71.0.3578.80 due to the extensions. ‘Anaheim’ seems to be a good idea.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any bets as to whether or not it will be optional?

Reaction score
Evens from me. They have been under such fire with making Edge so dominant.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes and no.

Chrome is the browser you know. Chromium is the source code, also developed by Googls many years ago, on which chrome was built. It is "Open source" so can legally be used by anyone to develop it into something else.

Splitting hairs, maybe!
I have a sneaky feeling, though, that if MS go ahead with this project, the writers of Chromium will be asking for their slice of the pie.
fwiw. Similar to Linux source code, it is still maintained:

https://www.chromium.org/

Reaction score
the writers of Chromium will be asking for their slice of the pie.
Hi Dave,

I don't think they would even get a crumb, they might be able to lick the plate though, the pitfall of Open Source unfortunately for anyone writing OS code!. ;););)

Reaction score
Edge is still with us. Why doesn't Microsoft name it more appropriately? I'm thinking of something along the lines of HSV1-2 .

I can't get rid of Edge. Every update brings it back.

Ask a Question